n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Well here is a switcheroo! We are used to anything "aviation" being much more expensive than the generic equivalent.

My great Garmin 2610, that I use in the car, has broken, so I have been researching whether it is better to repair or replace the unit. I found that several of the newer Garmins have the ability to display weather, including Nexrad radar data, similar to what I am hooked on with the Garmin 496.

The cheapest weather package, that would be of much use, is called the "Responder" and is very similar to the "Aviator" subscription for the 496. The "Responder" does not have TFRs, TAFs, Airmets or Sigmets. What it has that the "Aviator" doesn't, is Wind Shear Detection (don't know what that is), NWS Marine Zone Forecast, Hurricane Track, Surface Pressure, Sea Surface Temperature, Wave Height and Wave Direction.

So for my money the "Aviator" sounds quite a bit more useful, even for use exclusively in the car, for storm chasing.

Ok, the surprise is that the "Responder" is $99.99 a month and $100 activation fee, twice what the very complete "Aviator" costs. The question is will the "Aviator" work in the car units? I suspect it will.

Edit:

It looks like I got confused. It now appears that the Responder is not for the automotive portables. These units have a very basic weather capability.

Last edited: