Capflyer

Well Known Member
I have the Aviation Products single fork tail wheel assembly on my RV4 and the wheel wears unevenly which causes issues with ground steering. Wondering if anyone has experienced the difference between the single and double forks and if the double helped with the uneven wear problem.

I have the Aviation Products single fork tail wheel assembly on my RV4 and the wheel wears unevenly which causes issues with ground steering. Wondering if anyone has experienced the difference between the single and double forks and if the double helped with the uneven wear problem.

Yes. The single fork bends and causes the tire to wear on one side. I bent TWO (2) and now have a double fork. Tire wears correctly now and has for years since going to the double fork. (2,507+ flying hours in almost 14-Yeats)

I do not think I DROP the tail hard on landing but the SINGLE fork still bends.

I'm running the single fork on my Hiperbipe and have never bent anything, despite 2050 gross weight and 114 on the tailwheel in the level attitude. This thing has to be much heavier than the -4. My buddy wore out several AP tailwheels on his -4 and they wore perfectly flat - single fork.

I have switched from the 6 to the 4 inch tailwheel on the HB. That model should have a much stiffer leg. It rides much more harshly on the ground though, as you would expect. Might be something to consider.

Just a thought, but are you sure you have the right bolt/axle for the wheel? Maybe that's the part that's bending?

Having owned a Honda VFR I am totally in favour of a single-sided wheel supports... But most of the tailwheels i've seen built that way make me cringe from an engineering standpoint... They just don't *look* strong enough.

I had a single the tire was uneven. Changed to a double on the advise of Gary Sobek (RV6 Flyer) and problem dissipeared. Got the fork from ACS took no time at all to change.

I sent mine (single arm) back to them and they sent me a new one (2 arms) for free. They are very nice people. I just told them about the problems that have been previously mentioned on VAF.