Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a list of Aviation Frequencies showing designated frequencies by the FCC, and/or FAA. After searching the web all that seemed to come up on searches were unofficial sites designed more or less for people with scanners.
This topic has led me to contact the AOPA for the first time asking that they look into a possable issue with our air to air frequency in the Nor Cal area being stepped on with a constant 24 hour a day ATIS sounding message. The more common frequency for air to air is 122.75 and it is widely published, but my flight guide lists 122.85 also for air to air use. Hayward airport however has this ATIS of sorts blasting out on 122.85 giving information to Lifeguard flights and directing them to the Hayward ATIS, Tower, etc. This renders the frequency un-usable for at least a hundred miles in every direction and also leaves the feeling of doing something wrong by using it at all. With this in mind and no solid information other than my flight guide telling me that this is an air to air frequency I contacted AOPA and asked the question. Basically if the frequency is for air to air this seems like another example of GA losing ground and getting bullied around. If the frequency isn't for air to air officially I figured that it would be good to know and possably be more discreet when using it. The rep at the AOPA took the information and said that she would check into this for us. It was her opinion that the transmissions that we are hearing up here are in violation and the frequency is designated for us while airborne to talk to each other. She did state that private airports that do not allow operations except by owners or priveledged users can use these frequencies. She also said that any public airports or businesses etc. at public airports cannot. She was very nice and didn't downplay my reason for calling her and told me that she would keep me informed by email of her findings. However this goes it was an informative call seeing that the AOPA really does for us what they advertise.

Once again, if anybody has an official list of frequencies I'd like a copy to add to my Aircraft Operating Manual.

Many thanks,

AIM - Chapter 4

Bryan... it appears that the use by Hayward is definitely NOT recommended , and probably illegal, if Hayward is a public airport...

Table 4-1-3 of the AIM, Chapter 4 gives the FAA's view on FCC assigned frequencies....

TBL 4-1-3

Other Frequency Usage Designated by FCC Use
Frequency

Air-to-air communications & private airports (not open to the public).

Air-to-air communications (general aviation helicopters).

Aviation instruction, Glider, Hot Air Balloon (not to be used for advisory service).

Perhaps a complaint letter to the FCC, with a copy to Hayward, would clear this up quickly?

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Air To Air Freq

We have the same situation in central Texas. Hilltop Lakes is a privately owned, public use airport (they want you to come there and spend money at their lodge/restaurant).
They use 122.75 for their CTAF.
On more than one occasion, while communicating to others in our RV flight, we have been scolded by aircraft landing at Hilltop that we're on THEIR frequency, chat somewhere else!
Go figure, you're sharing the air with these guys, and the airwaves.
In the case of Hayward, if I regularly flew in SoCal, I'd be contacting my local FSDO and inquiring into who allowed that to be approved. :mad:

Looks public owned to me....

Bryan ....looking at Airnav
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KHWD
it seems to be owned by the City of Hayward....

If this is the case... write the letter to the FCC suggested in my previous post.

They are using the wrong frequency.

A look at their license for a ground station would be interesting.... :)

gil in Tucson

Our private airpark was assigned 122.9 for Multicom....

UPDATE....

Bryan... looking closely on Airnav, I don't see the 122.85 listed....

It is some rogue frequency operated by a FBO??

Airport Communications
CTAF: 120.2
UNICOM: 122.95
ATIS: 126.7(510-786-3988)
WX ASOS: PHONE 510-786-3052
HAYWARD GROUND: 121.4 [0700-2100]
HAYWARD TOWER: 120.2 257.8 118.9 [0700-2100]
NORCAL APPROACH: 124.4 125.35 134.5
NORCAL DEPARTURE: 124.4
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 128.05
EMERG: 121.5 243.0
WX ASOS at SFO (12 nm W): PHONE 650-872-0246
WX ASOS at LVK (14 nm E): 119.65 (925-606-5412)
WX ASOS at NUQ (15 nm S): 124.175 OR 283.00 (650-604-1529)

Last edited:
Are you sure

tin man said:
pretty sure 122.85 is fuel @ Hayward

tin man(??)
If that is the case, it would be a pretty safe bet that this particular useage is not licensed. The Hayward City pilot's guide PDF file does not list 122.85 for any use.

However, the original post by Bryan mentioned an ATIS sounding message. Are you mixing it up with 122.95, which is listed as the Unicom frequency?

If it is fuel.. that should link it directly to a specific FBO...

gil in Tucson

tin man said:
pretty sure 122.85 is fuel @ Hayward

Bizzarre! I'm pretty sure 122.85 is air-to-air comm. A quick look in the FAA's Online AIM confirms it.

[duplicate info removed...left the above hyperlink for interested parties-sv]

It also confirms that private airports can use those air-to-air frequencies too.

Last edited: