49clipper

Well Known Member
Anyone heard of the AVIA propeller which is an automatic hydraulic prop similiar to the old Aeromatics of the 1930's? I see they are still made in Czeck land. I know there is someone out there who installed one on a RV-6 in about 2002.

AVIA Prop

I flew the RV6A that you are referring to back in 2003. You probably will hear from Russ Davies. (sp?) I was impressed at how well it performed with a 150hp O320. Russ did sell the 6A and the new owner totalled the plane a short time later and it was the only known RV using that prop.
It was weird watching the little vanes rotating at the aft end of the spinner when the flight loads changed!
The only thing that bothered me was the TBO, something like 700 or 800 hours. I don't know if that still applies to it today. I tried finding it online to show a friend and couldn't find the same prop listed on their website that was applicable to an RV & a C172, at that time.

49clipper

Mike,
I finally found it online at Aviapropeller. The tbo is now 1000 hrs. I have always liked the idea of the aeromatic and this is very similiar. Its a little heavy though. One spec sheet said 70# and when I inquired about it, they sent me a spec sheet and it listed it at 56#. Still kind of heavy, I could use some weight of front on the -6 anyway. I think it lists at $5945.00

[email protected] <[email protected]>
or aviapropellor.com

Last edited: