prkaye

Well Known Member
Is it ok to transport and store AVGAS in those regular red plastic gas cans you get at the hardware store?

Ahh come on Mel, I started to say something clever but knowing there is a fine line between clever and stupid I will refrain.:D
and I'm talking about stupid on my part.

No problem - just don't spill any and get caught by the highway patrol.

One bad scenario - be driving along with 5-10 gals in cans in the back of your truck. You're driving along innocently and you get smashed by someone else. Can tips over and 2-3 gals spill on the road, highway patrol shows up. Asks why you're transporting fuel, you are helpful and say, "it's OK - it's just 100-low-lead". Lead?! OK - now HAZMAT gets called, and you get the bill.

Just don't have a wreck transporting your 100LL!

Why wouldn't it be?

Not being a chemist, I don't know. That's why I asked. I don't know whether the high lead content might cause a problem with the plastic, or if there might be other chemical differences between AVGAS and gasoline that I'm not aware of. Didn't seem like that unreasonable a question.

real hazards?

Phil,
I real a good article on the AOPA site...or was it linked here?
...anyway, a ton of good info on precautions when fueling in general, and especially with plastic jugs, proper grounding etc.
I always wonder if I should be adding fuel stabilizers, as it sits in my a/c tanks all winter???

Not being a chemist, I don't know. That's why I asked. I don't know whether the high lead content might cause a problem with the plastic, or if there might be other chemical differences between AVGAS and gasoline that I'm not aware of. Didn't seem like that unreasonable a question.

It's not all that different from the old leaded auto gas.
the plastic jugs will handle it fine.

OK, maybe this isn't relevant, but it is about avgas. There is an old Cherokee at my home field that sat for years. It was flown in '89 and didn't have an annual until '98. It flew once that year, on the same fuel from '89. It was finally pulled from its hangar about three years ago, due to non-payment of the hangar rental (all of $43/mo.) The airport took legal ownership of it to cover the back rent. A mechanic here bought it from the airport, drained the sumps, put in a new battery, and it started on the second blade. New tires, lots of AD's and fixes and it should be flying by summer. I don't know if he will drain the old fuel or just fill it up. (I know what I'd do.) I would think that answers the need for fuel stabilizers.

Is it any wonder lots of people around here have there standby home generators fueled with avgas? Good stuff, no matter what some gov't agencies think.

Bob Kelly

My friend purchased a 172 that sat on a grass strip for ten years. We drained all the fuel before removing the wings and he burned it in his mower. Amazing.

no more dangerous than transporting any gas in plastic. plastic is not a conductor of electricity and therefore very accessible to static electricity...more than one person has been injured with plastic gas tanks. Remember gasoline isn't just combustible, its explosive.