AgPilot20523

I'm New Here
I am currently trying to get an idea of what I will need to budget for an annual. I would appreciate anyone that could tell me about what your spending for your annuals.

On my 7A (can't think of how a 4 would be much different) it costs me about $150. I do the work myself, the costs is mostly consumables, batteries, oil test kits and the occasional replaced bearing etc...

Welcome, Kyle....to VAF

I'm assuming that you're not the original builder, so it'll take an A@P to do what's called "Condition inspections" on your airplane.

You can do all the maintenance yourself, including oil and filter/spark plug changes...brake pad/tire and tube replacement and so on.

Different A@P's charge differing flat rates but if you remove all the fairings and the baggage area is open, you can save a bit on the labor. Find an A@P or two and run this scenario by them,

Best,

Condition Inspection

Like Pierre said, it really depends on whether you just want to drop the airplane off and pick it up when it's done or you want to do most of the "manual labor" yourself (I prefer the latter). It also depends on the condition of the airplane, if it needs lots of TLC then the cost is going to rise accordingly.

Of course I "assume" everybody takes as good of care of their airplane as I do so the check should be a breeze :rolleyes:

I usually charge $250 for the condition inspection and associated paperwork signoff. This assume the owner is there to do the majority of the opening and closing, the oil change, assist with the compression check and servicing.

Additional labor runs between $40 and $55/hr depending on my mood, how much I like the airplane, what kind of work is involved, if the owner buys lunch... etc.

But I don't do it for a living either, I mostly charge these rates because it's the minimum I feel makes it worth my time. If I was doing it for a living the rates would be significantly higher. Realise that you will really be paying for expertise. You may be able to find an A&P to do it for free, but finding one with RV or at the very least experimental experience will go a long way.

FWIW,
these rates are what I pay in Louisville, by god Kentucky. ;-)
I do the work, and the numerous builders in the area advise me what and how to keep things right. The A and P supervises all me on all engine work, most of which I do myself. (I want to learn it...)
I pay $275 for his name in the book.
In my case though, it has been a lot more than just "condition inspections". I didn't like all the firewall holes, so I built another one. Added oil filter, changed props... This list goes on... I figure I am paying for an expert on "normal practices" and a good teacher who can tell me the "whys" for what I'm doing...

DM

I usually charge $250 for the condition inspection and associated paperwork signoff. This assume the owner is there to do the majority of the opening and closing, the oil change, assist with the compression check and servicing.

Additional labor runs between $40 and $55/hr depending on my mood, how much I like the airplane, what kind of work is involved, if the owner buys lunch... etc.

But I don't do it for a living either, I mostly charge these rates because it's the minimum I feel makes it worth my time. If I was doing it for a living the rates would be significantly higher. Realise that you will really be paying for expertise. You may be able to find an A&P to do it for free, but finding one with RV or at the very least experimental experience will go a long way.