Topturn

Just wondering if others have had any issues with this tool? Mine won't squeeze any rivets now after only being used on about 30 rivets during the build. I've emailed Avery about it and hope to hear back soon, picture below of a thread that appears stripped.

http://www.build12.co.uk/albums/Pages/wings.html#42

Any UK builders fancy suggesting a readily available alternative pop rivet tool for tight spaces?

Last edited:
No need for a special rivet gun with a shaved tip. I was able to get at just about every rivet using a small wedge that I fashioned out of a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum in conjunction with the pneumatic tool or sometimes the manual squeezer. I did not shave the tip on either gun. The plans recommend using a small piece of the AEX wedge which is in the kit.

See last part the EAA video where Charlie Becker talks about using a wedge.......

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1431564069?bclid=1432790122&bctid=1432781652

Give it a try using a scrap piece of angle. Works VERY well.

Last edited:
Tight Space Rivet Gun

What you are seeing is not stripped threads but the grip area for the shank of the rivet.

I too had the riveter fail in short order. Rather than disassemble it, I oiled it well, and it's been workling fine ever since.

Good luck with your build.

Steve Mottin
RV12 N255SM (Reserved)

This forum is THE BEST!!

Marty ended up using the wedges made way back at the start of the build to get the rivets in using the air gun and Steve top tip on oiling the tool. I've just been outside used some WD40 and then normal oil and hey presto gripping rivets and set two to test it into a scrap rib - Very happy and $60 saved plus shipping saved on the price of a replacement.

Thanks

Just had a great email from Bob at Avery tools suggesting the same fix for the rivet gun as above which works a treat and he's also offered to replace the gun via a UK supplier if I continue to have an issue - Now that's really good customer service

Oiling

Hi Jason,

I apply a couple of drips of air tool oil into the air line, and a squirt of WD40 into the rivet "mouth" before every significant use. Do this, particularly before hitting the wings.

Cheers...Keith