flickroll

Well Known Member
I am using Avery spring back dimple dies on my RV8 project. They produce a circle of very fine circular scratches around the dimple. They are not very deep and will come out with light strokes with a purple scotchbrite pad. However, if I decide to polish the airplane rather than paint (doubtful, but a possibility) it would require a lot of work to get them out and then re-polish. I think they would disappear during surface prep and painting if I decide to paint the airplane. Nevertheless I am not happy with the way they look and would appreciate comments and suggestions. I would post a picture but am not sure how to do so. Thanks

Jim Shannon

Exactly like those. The thread indicates they are OK, but I still don't like them. Is there any way to dimple and not have them appear? Maybe a dimple set from a different manufacturer? Or just keep on trucking the way I am going?

Jim Shannon

Tool marks are common when forming metal . I deal with it in the furniture manufacturing business every day . You are forming soft metal with a hard tool . I don't think anything is wrong with the tooling. You may want to leave the protective plastic coating on the metal while forming that will help.

You may want to leave the protective plastic coating on the metal while forming that will help.

I don't think this is a good idea for dimpling. After drilling, that coating will hold the metal shavings/chips. If you dimple it with trash attached it will just embed the trash and potentially cause cracking later.

My vote is don't worry about those small marks.

I am pretty new to this, but here is what I have learned.

Those are witness marks, and a sign that you have done a complete dimple. Remember the alclad is very easy to scratch, but it is necessary that you allow the die to contact the material completely.

The scratches will buff out in the polishing process, and are more desirable than having your rivets sit proud of the skin.

You did get the regular diameter spring back dimple dies - part no 3/32 DDS? Although they are more than twice the price of the cheap version it is worth it.

Pete

Exactly like those. The thread indicates they are OK, but I still don't like them. Is there any way to dimple and not have them appear? Maybe a dimple set from a different manufacturer? Or just keep on trucking the way I am going?

Jim Shannon

The farther you get along on your plane the less you are going to care about those dimple marks. What you are experiencing is new builder perfection syndrome. Don't worry, it goes away. Keep on trucking.