Will Womack

Well Known Member
I am about to purchase the subject tool. Can I get some feedback from anyone who has used this baby. Did you use it at all in the EMP kit?

Horz Stab almost ready for dimpling as soon as I am done deburring (tedious)

It is pretty much a must have tool and, yes, I used it on my empennage. I try to avoid using it as much as possible, but there are just some holes you can't get to without it.

"pop" dimple dies

i don't really like the dimples made with the pop dimpler, but sometimes there is no other option, so i live with them.

the vice-grip dimplers make a much better dimple, and can be used in a lot of the tight spots (trailing edges of ribs, etc.) avery's are the best -- (i got a "vice-grip dimpler" from some other place that was cheaper, but all they did was drill holes in a set of vice grips and put the die and punch in them. averys are much thinner die & punch, and are welded in. you can get into a much narrower spot with them.)

i made my own female dimple die by drilling and countersinking a narrow piece of flat steel. i then put the dimple punch into the c-frame punch holder and can get in a lot of other tight places that way.

yes, i did use the pop-dimpler on the empennage (though i can't remember exactly where.)

hth,

john

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get the Vise Grip style dimpler from Avery too. Wish I would have thought of this at OshVegas.

Use the pop-rivet dimpler for all of the rivet holes along the trailing edges of the elevators and rudder. This practically eliminates the possibility of damaging the skin there while dimpling, as you would using the C frame.
You can also use the deburring tool to touch up these dimples, if you need to, but remember, this is thin skin.
Good luck.