Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I've searched though both the general and RV4 forums to try and find information on average build time for an RV4 but haven't found exact numbers (to constitute a reliable data set). I know Vans says 2000-2200 hours, want to know if this is accurate. I am currently working full time on my -4, 40-50 hours a week, but the shop I rent is up for sale and I need a good estimate for the landlord of when I will be finished. FWIW, this is my first RV but I am mechanically inclined; I am sticking to the plans and intend to keep various systems standard/simple.
If someone had a breakdown of subsystem build times (hours for emp, wing, fuse, FWF, finishing) that would also be great; or if you have a build log with this info you can provide a link for, that would also be appreciated. As I understand it, the -4 takes considerably longer than later kits, so -4 build time is really the info I'm looking for.
Thank you,
Eric

Hi all-
I've searched though both the general and RV4 forums to try and find information on average build time for an RV4 but haven't found exact numbers (to constitute a reliable data set). I know Vans says 2000-2200 hours, want to know if this is accurate. I am currently working full time on my -4, 40-50 hours a week, but the shop I rent is up for sale and I need a good estimate for the landlord of when I will be finished. FWIW, this is my first RV but I am mechanically inclined; I am sticking to the plans and intend to keep various systems standard/simple.
If someone had a breakdown of subsystem build times (hours for emp, wing, fuse, FWF, finishing) that would also be great; or if you have a build log with this info you can provide a link for, that would also be appreciated. As I understand it, the -4 takes considerably longer than later kits, so -4 build time is really the info I'm looking for.
Thank you,
Eric

Eric,

Vans' numbers for average RV build time is a good estimate based on field history over many years. The difficulty arises in determining if any particular builder's log represents average, below average, or above average skills and determination. Then you have to determine into which of those categories you fit.

Consequently, Vans' numbers are probably about as good as you will find for a basis on making your estimate.

Enjoy your project!

Last edited: