brian

Well Known Member
I've been asked what is the average time to build a RV-7A. I'm thinking that some people, who?ve built RVs before and who can concentrate on working often on their project, can build one in less than a year. Others, with life?s interruptions getting in the way, can take 10 years or more. My guess is the average for a first-time builder is about 3 years.

What do you folks think the average build time would be?

I just finished my RV-9A in 7 years and one month (2350 hours). The main factor in the lengthy time is my kids growing up and the associated activities. It is interesting seeing my early pictures of them and the project when they were little. Now big teenagers. Now that the plane is at the airport, I'm a bit lost at home when things are quiet.

We should probably divide it up into three categories with the amount of time able to be fully dedicated to the project:

- Full-time builder - 30+ hours per week
- Mid-time builder - 15-29 hours per week
- part-time builder - less than 15 hours per week

I would say: FT= 1-1.5 years
MT= 1.5-2.5 years
PT= 2.5-5 years

Also, are we talking QB or Slow Build? I hammered through my tail section pretty quickly... the wings have taken their toll on my desire to build (constant repetition)... But the limiting factor for me is money. If I had an unlimited supply, I'd finish in a year.

Also, are we talking QB or Slow Build? I hammered through my tail section pretty quickly... the wings have taken their toll on my desire to build (constant repetition)... But the limiting factor for me is money. If I had an unlimited supply, I'd finish in a year.

I completely agree, time isnt the issue, money limits me as well. If only I were a rich man! :)

Still not flying but

2500 hours
30 hours week
or 90-100 month

4 years

Enjoying every bit of it.

First time builder

Additional data exist in the archives as this has been asked before. For me, 16 months, 1300 hours (approximately), so 20-22 hours/week. I did not count time spent thinking about stuff and ordering etc. just time in the garage/hangar actually building. Also does not count painting, which I farmed out. I did make a few mods, but certainly didn't do too much that is unusual. Quickbuild wings and fuse (and worth every extra penny!).

greg

Average is a somewhat useless number given that the quantity varies so widely. It sets an expectation that might not fit well with reality. I remember a couple of builders (retired) who got an RV in the air in three months; what does that do to your average? I'm one of the longest at 14 years. You could give a long talk on all the factors and still not give a good answer. I usually just say it often takes 3 to 4 years but can be done quicker or slower and leave it at that.

I've been asked what is the average time to build a RV-7A. My guess is the average for a first-time builder is about 3 years.[/FONT][/COLOR]

What do you folks think the average build time would be?

I know of 3 guys who have finished pre-punched standard kits in the last couple of years. All were still working for a living, so I guess they would be termed "part time builders".................. Anyhow, based on these guys, 4 to 4-1/2 years is an "average build time".

Hope this helps!

- Full-time builder - 30+ hours per week
- Mid-time builder - 15-29 hours per week
- part-time builder - less than 15 hours per week
I would say: FT= 1-1.5 years
MT= 1.5-2.5 years
PT= 2.5-5 years

I agree with these numbers. But for me one of the big factors is if you keep the plane at home, or move to the airport. I finished 90% of the structure in the first two years. I would say I was a Mid-time builder. Then I moved to an airport, and progress has really slowed down. Having to commute to work on the plane adds LOTS of time to the project. Don't do it. Keep the kit in your garage for as long as possible.

The average time it takes to build an RV can be determined if only we all could agree on being on the same page and simply report the time spanning two simple milestones. Otherwise all sorts of qualifying events can be tossed into the mix and hopelessly skew the numbers. Life gets in the way including getting married, got married, moved, wife had twins, flood, away on business, earthquake, death in family, got divorced, got remarried, financial setbacks, jury duty, lost interest for awhile, home remodeling, tsunami, went back to school, health issues, lost job, started new job, relocated overseas, rehab, waiting on parts and any other number of things that are certain to skew the numbers. :)

Of course there will always be those builders who finish a partially completed project started by somebody else but to avoid unnecessary complication, should be excluded from the stats. By keeping it easy, the average RV build time that would include both standard and quick build kits can be dirt simple to determine and it does not matter one whit how fast or how slow the builder is:

Milestone #1 starts on the the day the empennage kit is deposited at the doorstep.
Milestone #2 is met the day the RV is awarded its airworthiness certificate.

By applying those shamelessly simple and easy to understand milestone dates, the total time it took me to to build 2 standard kit RV's totaled 78 months. Divided by two, that reveals a 39 month average. Naturally, YMMV.

To get more complicated than that with a bunch of RV builders is to invite herding cats...and good luck with that one. :D