RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I splurged for these fancy landing and taxi lights. They come with no instructions, I did find wire diagrams on line. A couple things I need help with;

1. How do you adjust them. It odes not seem obvious to me but without instructions it is difficult to determine this.

2. How did you mount them in the wing cut out?

It looks like they can be mounted to the part of the cut out that faces outboard, but the unit is long enough it seems it will have to recess in to the other side of the cut out (fwd facing section). Pictures or link to a builder log would be a great help.

Cheers.

So how do you like them?

Mike, I am wondering how you like your Aveomaxx 6 in 1 lights? I looked around your build site for install pictures, but haven't found them yet?? Looking forward to seeing the post-paint pictures when Grady gets done!! Congrats! :D

Love them

Jim,

I love the lights, they were very easy to install and provide great lighting. Mine are wired for taxi or landing but not both on at the same time. This is due to me wiring thing before I decided to install the Aveo lights. I will add the dual function at a later date.

With this said they provide good light. The taxi lights with a wider field of view are a better anti-collision light in my opinion. I confirmed this while on along final with tower. I switched between landing a taxi on a long straight in and they said the taxi light showed better than the focused landing light, obviously having both on would be the best of both worlds.

I only have 3 night flights so far. One locally before I left to take the plane to Grady, I figured I might need to land at night on the trip, turns out I had two night landings on the trip. The first one was in Winslow well after sunset and a dark night and not much in the way of ambient light at the airport, I had no problem landing or judging height. Personally at night I am not looking at the runway as much as I am using the runway edge lights. I had to taxi at this airport with no diagram (unexpected stop) and I had never been there, I had no problems.

When I fly during the day I keep the taxi light on and I have had people tell me how bright the lights look, they are expecting a business jet when they see me on final.

I hope this help. The price is up there but the quality and ease of installation were big pluses for me.

you may be a month early, aveo is releasing at sun n fun a drop in wingtip insert for the RV series that will fit out of the box, i believe it will be based on the 6 n 1

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the pirep on the AveoMaxx, Mike, I really appreciate it! And yes, I spent the last hour perusing your build site since I couldn't stop at just "plus or minus a few days" :D

Wire this, plug in that, make this piece...boy I guess that's what 90% complete and 90% to go means! I can't think about all those things at this stage in the build or I would go crazy! :eek: Looks like a great job on your end though!!

So if I understand, you set up one side "landing light" as the taxi light and the other side is set up as the landing light? Or do you have other lights besides the 2 wingtip "landing" lights??

Thanks again!

Jim,

I love the lights, they were very easy to install and provide great lighting. Mine are wired for taxi or landing but not both on at the same time. This is due to me wiring thing before I decided to install the Aveo lights. I will add the dual function at a later date.

With this said they provide good light. The taxi lights with a wider field of view are a better anti-collision light in my opinion. I confirmed this while on along final with tower. I switched between landing a taxi on a long straight in and they said the taxi light showed better than the focused landing light, obviously having both on would be the best of both worlds.

I only have 3 night flights so far. One locally before I left to take the plane to Grady, I figured I might need to land at night on the trip, turns out I had two night landings on the trip. The first one was in Winslow well after sunset and a dark night and not much in the way of ambient light at the airport, I had no problem landing or judging height. Personally at night I am not looking at the runway as much as I am using the runway edge lights. I had to taxi at this airport with no diagram (unexpected stop) and I had never been there, I had no problems.

When I fly during the day I keep the taxi light on and I have had people tell me how bright the lights look, they are expecting a business jet when they see me on final.

I hope this help. The price is up there but the quality and ease of installation were big pluses for me.

Good to know...

Thanks Brian, I was planning on checking them out at SnF, but enhancements are even better!

you may be a month early, aveo is releasing at sun n fun a drop in wingtip insert for the RV series that will fit out of the box, i believe it will be based on the 6 n 1

6 in 1's

I have these and love them as noted above. I believe there are some changes coming to AVEO. The website shows the 6 in 1's but they are not shown in the "store" section.

I have my taxi and landing lights on at the same time. No reason not to. They are LED's and draw minimal power. Also, don't have the wear and tear each time they are turned on.

These are the brightest I've seen!!!

here are the ones I was referring to

http://www.aveoengineering.com/index.php/blog

I plan to get them

ConformaZipTips-flyer.jpg

Two lights in one housing

Jim,

The light has a ring of LED that are the Taxi lights and a center light that is a more focused beam that is the landing light, so there is a pair working for each landing and taxi. As Darwin said with the low power you can have them both on at the same time. For me it was a wiring issue, the lights I had planned had a power draw that was not conducive to having both on at the same time. I also wanted one switch which was wired progressively OFF-TAXi-LANDING. I will eventually change the wiring to make it OFF-TAXI-TAXI/LANDING. Of course you could also just wire them with separate switches. There is also a WIG-WAG feature built into the lights, it just requires one wire between lights and then a switch to ground to make it function, I also still have to do this,my priority was to get flying and save these things for winter projects. I decided to use these lights at the end of my build so I had to adapt to the wires and switches I already had planned.

Also some worry about noise produced by LED lights. I do not hear a thing when these lights are on over the radio or intercom. Non-shielded wire was used and grounded locally.

The new lights look very cool and I am sure will be great. Depending on your budget this might make the old style cheaper and more attractive.

Cheers

Just a week and a half till the paint should be done!

So if I understand, you set up one side "landing light" as the taxi light and the other side is set up as the landing light? Or do you have other lights besides the 2 wingtip "landing" lights??

Thanks again!

I see :)

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like they are calling the newer ones, "wingtip replacements" hopefully they just go in the wingtip cutout and aren't actually an additional wingtip+light combo...(more money)! :eek:

Thanks for the "Flyer" Brian...I am definitely intrigued!

The light has a ring of LED that are the Taxi lights and a center light that is a more focused beam that is the landing light, so there is a pair working for each landing and taxi.