Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Anyone install the Aveo embedded wingtip position/strobe LEDs? Looking for advice on wiring them...info from the company says "use shielded wire", but a bit more info would be useful :).

Specifically...does the sync line need to be shielded as well, and what's the best way to use the shield itself (as ground return, or separately grounded back at the firewall grounding block)?

Any advice/experience would be most appreciated!

TIA

Steve

We are an Aveo Authorized Installation Center (AIC). Yes, we have installed the Ultra Embedded, and yes, we use shielded wire for the main feeds, but there isn't any significant benefit to using shielded wire for the sync wire, which only goes from light to light.

Last edited:
Thanks, Craig! Probably be easiest to just use 4-wire shielded to pull it through the conduit, keep it neat, etc. Any recommendation on grounding the shield? I was planning on pigtailing it to wire, joining all three wires (L, R, Tail) to a single wire and running that to the grounding block on the firewall...

grounding shield

I typically ground the shield at the front end (grounding block), but leave it open at the other end.

Not needed

I've been running the 6 in 1 landing/taxi lights with the embedded pos/strobes since July. These were retrofits and the original wiring was used from my previous lights. I did not use shielded wire and locally grounded everything.

The lights are absolutely SILENT!!!!! I do recommend using the sync wire for the strobes.

I fly at night often and the AVEO landing/taxi lights put out tremendous amounts of light.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

The install manual doesn't mention anything about using shielded wires:

http://www.aveoengineering.com/download/InstallationManual_UltraEmbedded.pdf

Where did you hear that they recommend using shielded wires?

Aveo.

Q: What cable should I use for installing the lights?
A: For our light installations we recommended the use of shielded wire.

http://www.aveoengineering.com/support/Aviation/FAQ/index.php#7

(also via email, but some of the info was lost in translation, as they are a Czech company :) ).

That's an unfortunate thing to leave out of the install manual. Since I've heard others have had success without that, I don't think I'll replace the wire unless I have a problem. Since I ran a ground wire (instead of grounding locally at the wingtip), hopefully I'll be fine.

Yeah, their instructions for just about everything I've procured from them could definitely use some improvement. The *products* are very nice, stylish, well designed, etc. It's their documentation (or rather, lack of it) that could use a little help.

As a general rule, we always use shielded wire for anything lighting related. It's something I learned to do a while back, but I'm not sure why. Probably from the old days when the zing-zing strobes had to have shielded wire to keep the noise down.

I wouldn't worry about going back and rewiring with shielded. Chances are you'll never have an issue with it. The newer generation of LEDs (we install both Aveo and AeroLEDs) are very quiet.

Craig's right

I think some of this is carry over from days gone by. I will tell you that the owner of Aveo told me it was not necessary. I'll get with them to clarify some of the instructions. Probably lost in translation.

I used 18ga for the strobes and 20ga for the position and strobes and sync. No issues.

I know there have been comments about the price of the Aveo products. I don't mind paying more knowing they are going to work perfectly. In this case, the Aveo's work flawlessly.

Sure you can get cheaper LED lighting, but look as some of the issues that have occurred. Many are noisy. These are not.

Used with confidence.

I have the Aveo 6 in 1 lights and I am just begining the install on my RV8. Does anyone have a solution they can share for mounting the 6 in 1 in the Vans wing tips?? Also I do NOT plan to use the Wig-Wag function and I am puzzled with Aveo's installation instructions as to exactly how to terminate the Blue 'Sync' and White 'Master/Slave' wires. Any advice??

Aveo landing light question

I have the Aveo 6 in 1 lights and I am just begining the install on my RV8. Does anyone have a solution they can share for mounting the 6 in 1 in the Vans wing tips?? Also I do NOT plan to use the Wig-Wag function and I am puzzled with Aveo's installation instructions as to exactly how to terminate the Blue 'Sync' and White 'Master/Slave' wires. Any advice??

I am considering the AVEOMAXX landing lights, I already have the position/strobe lights. I am about to start my wing tips and wondered the same two things;

1. How to mount it the the wing cut out
2. How to leave out the wig wag function. I wired for halogen lights and currently do not have a switch or wire for the wig wag so I want to leave that out if possible.

So did you ever find this information if so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Aveoflash LP LSA

My comment is not so much a complaint (which it is in my passive aggressive way) as much as a "heads up" for the next guy.

I installed AVEOFLASHLP LSA lights on my RV-8. They are wonderful, but here's an issue:

I designed my switch panel with a separate toggle switch for the NAV and STROBE lights as I wanted to operate them separately. Upon checking them out I noticed the strobes would not operate unless the nav lights were on. Hmmmm...

It had been a while, so back to the books. On page 7 of the 8 page installation manual, three fourths of the way down the page, in regular print I found this: "Note: Strobe on LSA lights is active only when position section is active "

Dang! Had I known that I would have used a single DPDT switch on my panel. To avoid redesigning that I simply installed a diode from the strobe line to the nav line at a convenient location. Problem solved.

They may have changed this functionality in subsequent productions. I reviewed a newer installation manual and this was different.

It's not a big deal and I love the lights, but their documentation could have been a wee bit better methinks.

Don

Changed

I believe they did this because the LSA's can't be flown IFR which is where you'd want to shut off strobes. The early versions of the Embedded position and strobes were this way. FINALLY, I was able to convince them to change this to separate the two wires. They did. I recommended doing this on all but don't know if it carried to the LSA lights.

My comment is not so much a complaint (which it is in my passive aggressive way) as much as a "heads up" for the next guy.

I installed AVEOFLASHLP LSA lights on my RV-8. They are wonderful, but here's an issue:

I designed my switch panel with a separate toggle switch for the NAV and STROBE lights as I wanted to operate them separately. Upon checking them out I noticed the strobes would not operate unless the nav lights were on. Hmmmm...

It had been a while, so back to the books. On page 7 of the 8 page installation manual, three fourths of the way down the page, in regular print I found this: "Note: Strobe on LSA lights is active only when position section is active "

Dang! Had I known that I would have used a single DPDT switch on my panel. To avoid redesigning that I simply installed a diode from the strobe line to the nav line at a convenient location. Problem solved.

Don

Aveo LED installation Questions

We are an Aveo Authorized Installation Center (AIC). Yes, we have installed the Ultra Embedded, and yes, we use shielded wire for the main feeds, but there isn't any significant benefit to using shielded wire for the sync wire, which only goes from light to light.

Craig
Hi, I'm installing the Aveo Ultra LEDs in my RV7 embedded wingtips and have a couple questions. Your time and efforts answering are sure appreciated.

Can I ground locally out at the wing tip airframe?
What size flathead screw is meant to be used? #8, #10, AN3?
Do I need to ground the light frame or just the ground wire?
Do I need to do anything special about the aluminum backing plate inside the fiberglass tip to screw them to? Does the plate need to be large or will just the size of the light surfice?

thanks much