Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Fellow builders,
I have seen previous threads on landing lights but nothing real recent. Does anyone know if the aveo 6 in 1 system have a mounting system for the wing tips? I see the light for sale in aircraft spruce but I dont know how difficult of a time mounting them I would be in for. I hear they are nice lights though.
Also, with quick build wings, is the leading edge land light install difficult? How do you get the mounting bracket in?
Thanks for the advice
Bill

Leading edge

If you're referring to the Duckworks lights they are really very simple to install in the QB wings, instructions are good and the first one took me about 5 hours, the second took about 3. Everything goes in via the hole you cut.

Kai

+1 on what Kai said...

Last weekend I installed a Duckworks 100 W halogen light in the wing of the RV-4 I purchased. Took me a little more than him, and I think it turned out fine. My plane is painted white, so I painted all the brackets and mounts with white Krylon paint, and it looks very nice.

The biggest issue was getting up the nerve to cut that BIG hole in the wing!! But the directions are good, the templates are excellent, and it went fine. I reviewed a couple of RV web sites where people had documented their installation and that helped a lot.

I expect to do the next light next week, and it should take much less time.

If you're referring to the Duckworks lights they are really very simple to install in the QB wings, instructions are good and the first one took me about 5 hours, the second took about 3. Everything goes in via the hole you cut.

Kai

Ok, thanks! I didn't kno it would all fit through the hole that is cut. How ar the brackets attached in side then? Pop rivits maybe?
Thanks
bill

Soon

Hi Bill,

I designed and built the prototype wing tip mounting system for Aveo. They have it and are pushing to have it available for Oshkosh. I will have my own version on my 7 if they don't get it done by then.

The mount will work in the larger tip cutouts and is ridiculously simple to install. It will provide and up and down light adjustment.

Fellow builders,
I have seen previous threads on landing lights but nothing real recent. Does anyone know if the aveo 6 in 1 system have a mounting system for the wing tips? I see the light for sale in aircraft spruce but I dont know how difficult of a time mounting them I would be in for. I hear they are nice lights though.
Also, with quick build wings, is the leading edge land light install difficult? How do you get the mounting bracket in?
Thanks for the advice
Bill

6 in 1

The AVEO 6 in 1 set up is IMO a great idea but....it's just a big ROUND 'bullet' and not easily mounted in an area that has a FLAT bulkhead. I waited for 'someone' that was supposed to supply AVEO with a mounting system for the RV10 but over the course my last RV10 it never transpired.....the norm. I would have pursued the 6 in 1's and whipped out my own mounting system but since I have long range tanks in the tips that extend very close proximity to the mounting bulkhead I passed on 'em. Instead, I used the nav/strobe & landing/taxi lights and whipped out my own fully adjustable system in a couple hours. For the record, I'm not a big fan of LED's but these are by far the nicest I've seen. The landing/taxi lights are EXTREMELY bright.

I had been waiting for these lights for some time and finally gave up, partly due to the high cost (nearly $1400 a pair)
At almost 4" diameter and the nav light on top of it, it would be a very tight space to fit it in the tip if the tip is of the same dimensions as a RV7. Alternatively, I end up using a bi-Xenon HID light which puts out more lumens for a bit more power draw. The nav lights are separate and are working great. Here are a couple of pix to give you an idea about size (these are smaller in diameter the Aveo)

DSC_6139 by bavafa1, on Flickr

DSC_6142 by bavafa1, on Flickr

Thanks guys! I have been back and forth on this and I realy like the looks of the Aveo 6 in 1s but the lack of bracket assembly and since I'm a beginner builder, I probably will have to play it safe and do a leading edge install instead.
Bill

I had been waiting for these lights for some time and finally gave up, partly due to the high cost (nearly $1400 a pair)
At almost 4" diameter and the nav light on top of it, it would be a very tight space to fit it in the tip if the tip is of the same dimensions as a RV7. Alternatively, I end up using a bi-Xenon HID light which puts out more lumens for a bit more power draw. The nav lights are separate and are working great. Here are a couple of pix to give you an idea about size (these are smaller in diameter the Aveo)

DSC_6139 by bavafa1, on Flickr

DSC_6142 by bavafa1, on Flickr

Thats one sleek looking set up you have. Do you have enough light for landing or do you wish you had more? Very nice looking. Clean!
Bill

Thats one sleek looking set up you have. Do you have enough light for landing or do you wish you had more? Very nice looking. Clean!
Bill

Thanks! enough light is a subjective matter but these are much much brighter then compare to my pervious 75w hallogen lights and I am happy with them for night landing.

Bavafa
Those are great looking lights you riged up. Can you provide some more info. I found the LED`s for positioning you are using. Do you use 2 LEDs per side only ? And which strobe and HID are you using. Any links or mounting pics.
Thanks, looks great.

Christian,
Yes, I am using two per side which is a total of 10 5050 SMD per side. The strobes are what used to be sold under the name of Creative air and now has changed, plenty of links on them.

The bi-Xenon lights are automotive projector type with lots of options available on eBay or direct store. I choose Morimoto brand due to my research and so far very happy with them but they are pricy compare to the cheaper brand on eBay.

The installation is not that difficult, the brackets are home made but easily done and there are some options as how you want them to look, but I didn't take any pix of building them.

If you need more details, let me know and I glad to share them.

Did you run into any "noise" problems with the auto-bi-xenon lights ?
Aslo, how do you wig-wham them ?
And also, when you certify the plane, does the DAR check for sufficient light level output, if its not a known system or how does that aspect of it work.
I know there is a certain output requirement for the strobes, does one apply for the Red/Green position lights also ?
Thanks

Last edited:
My DAR did not check any of these items and my own research showed that these nav light well exceed the required lumens for nav lights.

Regarding the noise, yes there was some issues but all were mitigated with not too much issue. I still hear a very low hum which is much less then my halogen lights. I would recommend a dedicated ground to your ground buss as oppose to using the airframe like I have done.