LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I don't know if this is a big deal or not. You tell me. I got a series of news releases today from Avemco.

Bottom line:

Now all FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) WINGS Knowledge courses worth one full credit or more will qualify for premium credits on owned and non-owned aircraft insurance products. This, along with the additional premium savings when customers participate in Avemco-recognized flight training, can save pilots up to 10 percent on annual premium costs.

TAA Discounts and others

Bob, you may know this but here is another minor deal,.... AIG offers a 10% discount for flying TAA aircraft which are Technologically Advanced Aircraft. Glass panel and IFR rating. They also offer a 5% for AOPA owners. This is on top of being the cheapest on builders risk that I could find. $658 for 100K coverage.

Have to plug Jenny Estes at Nationair:

Toll Free (877) 475-5860

Fax (636) 532-3646

Email - [email protected]

www.nationair.com

CA License # 0D36859

Bill S

I'm with AIG... and Jenny. Of course, it's just a builder's policy right now.

Please, let that piece of litter I pick up tomorrow be a winning lottery ticket. Probably the same odds as me buying one.

I am not sure if it is still Avemco's policy but one year ago they did not provide hull coverage on experimentals only liability.

As an aside I had heard, in the past, Avemco really went out of their way to not pay on claims. Of course as with all I've heard stories my sources had no first hand knowledge about the issue. In talking to my broker the other day he divulged he used to work for Avemco and does not hesitate to refer his clients to them when he cannot find insurance through other underwriters. Says Avemco is a great company and pays claims like anyone else.

I used to fly my friend's Pitts and it was insured with AVEMCO. They allowed me to give him dual even though I was not a CFI. He went out to run it up one day without me and ended up putting it up on the nose(long story bonehead move). Avemco had no problem paying for the $33000 Hartzel composite prop, engine teardown and cowl repair. They even renewed his policy with a very small rate hike. Great service and nice understanding people. I also understand Avemco only covers liability on homebuilts. Don

Early this year my quote from Avemco was twice that of AIG. At the time I had over 200 hours in my RV. The previous year they were a little higher.

Never had an accident or incident.
I figured they were getting out of experimental market.

Be Aware

I was with Avemco for several years. I changed companies when it was brought to my attention that they only cover family members at 25% coverage. Since a family member flies with me about 95% of the time, this was not acceptable to me. I ask them what it would cost to get family members covered 100% and their answer was, "We don't offer that coverage."
Since that time, I've been with AIG and very happy.

Avemco was the only co that would even quote me when I bought my -4 without a previous tailwheel endorsement and only ~200tt. Without them I couldn't have bought an RV at all. Required a reasonable 10 hours dual with the TW endorsement of course. Started at $3300 with 200tt and no RV experience or TW endorsement. When I crossed 25 hours TW they knocked 10% off in the middle of the policy, didn't have to wait till the end of the policy/year. Now at my 1 year re-up, 50 hours type and TW, did the 10% off through training (wings classes free on line, 1 hour dual wings/bfr $35 good for 5% and a King risk management CD-ROM at $50 for the other 5% off) I'm at ~$2500 still with 50k hull. Doesn't sound too bad?? Maybe I'll check with others next year but I've been very happy with Avemco so far.

Does $2500 sound bad with 250tt and 50 type and 50k hull? I think I've got 1mil liability but with all the usual restrictions like 100k per person etc.

Insurance

Hi Grant,

AIG would probably be around $1,800 - $1,900 if your an AOPA member you would save 5%. If your an EAA member, Global would be around $1,400 - $1,500.00 basic Liability limits of $1,000,000 Each Occurrence with a $100,000 passenger limit.

Jenny Estes
NationAir Aviation Insurance
877-475-5860

Avemco was the only co that would even quote me when I bought my -4 without a previous tailwheel endorsement and only ~200tt. Without them I couldn't have bought an RV at all. Required a reasonable 10 hours dual with the TW endorsement of course. Started at $3300 with 200tt and no RV experience or TW endorsement. When I crossed 25 hours TW they knocked 10% off in the middle of the policy, didn't have to wait till the end of the policy/year. Now at my 1 year re-up, 50 hours type and TW, did the 10% off through training (wings classes free on line, 1 hour dual wings/bfr $35 good for 5% and a King risk management CD-ROM at $50 for the other 5% off) I'm at ~$2500 still with 50k hull. Doesn't sound too bad?? Maybe I'll check with others next year but I've been very happy with Avemco so far.

Does $2500 sound bad with 250tt and 50 type and 50k hull? I think I've got 1mil liability but with all the usual restrictions like 100k per person etc.

Does $2500 sound bad with 250tt and 50 type and 50k hull? I think I've got 1mil liability but with all the usual restrictions like 100k per person etc.[/QUOTE said:
Thats significantly more than I paid for my F1 through AIG with $125K hull value pilot experience not withsttanding you might want to talk to Jenny.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate them quoting me when I was low time but loyalty ends somewhere around a 20% premium difference. A 40% difference can't be ignored so I'll shop around when my policy is up (just paid the whole year too!!).

Grant

65K hull on my RV-4 is running me about $1500 through Skysmith/Global. Just under 1000TT/500TW and 60 in type. I always used Avemco on non-experimental aircraft, but have found them to be extremely high on experimentals since they parted ways with the EAA.

Jenny Estes

Hi Grant,

AIG would probably be around $1,800 - $1,900 if your an AOPA member you would save 5%. If your an EAA member, Global would be around $1,400 - $1,500.00 basic Liability limits of $1,000,000 Each Occurrence with a $100,000 passenger limit.

Jenny Estes
NationAir Aviation Insurance
877-475-5860

Jenny,

Not to change the subject but what do you think these RV12's will cost to insure. Assuming 50 hull and whatever liability thats avail. Also assuming lots of hours...now flying as sport pilot. Thanks

Pete

Somebody around here had AIG and had difficulty with a claim. Wish I could remember who it was. Someone prominent in the RV community. Didn't pay much attention to it at the time since I'm still building.