SeanB

Well Known Member
Hi,

Wondering if I missed something or if others have seen the same. I just received a message from a supplier that I don't recall using, saying, " xxxx is required to collect sales and/or use taxes on your purchases unless provided with current valid exemption certificates for the states where your company’s purchases are shipped. It instructs me that I need to provide updated sales tax/use certificates through a provided Avalara portal. Hmmmm???

Another builder/friend received a very similar letter advising the same, but much more detailed to Van's. His was sent from Avalara CertCapture. The 855-xxx-xxxx service number rings once and disconnects the call. A snippet from that letter states, "Van's Aircraft, Inc. is required to collect sales and/or use taxes on your purchases unless provided with a current valid resale/exemption certificate(s) for the state(s) that your company’s purchases are shipped. Van's Aircraft, Inc. respectfully requests that its customers complete a new sales tax exemption certificate(s) in order to continue selling to your company on a sales tax exempt basis. When completing the exemption certificate(s), please enter Van's Aircraft, Inc. as the Name of the Seller. Once you have submitted a valid exemption certificate you will not be required to do so again until the next expiration date."

Did something change in the course of the BK filing? I don't recall ever doing this in the past, and I'm not a company...just a builder.

Thanks!

Yup. I got one too but it mentioned some other aircraft parts company that I have never heard of. I sent it into the bit bucket.

That sounds pretty standard to me. Avalara is the leading industry provider of sales tax compliance services. These are very normal emails for a company like Avalara to be sending to customers. Van's Aircraft is required to collect sales tax from all customers unless they have a valid exemption certificate. Avalara is a company that helps collect those certificates and ensure compliance.

Feels scammy to me.

I would ignore it until it comes to your house in a Fedex or USPS Certified Letter - Return-Receipt-Requested...

That sounds pretty standard to me. Avalara is the leading industry provider of sales tax compliance services. These are very normal emails for a company like Avalara to be sending to customers. Van's Aircraft is required to collect sales tax from all customers unless they have a valid exemption certificate. Avalara is a company that helps collect those certificates and ensure compliance.
Never was requested, nor provided such a certificate in almost 20 years of dealing with Van's and other suppliers. Sounds "scammy" to me, too.