PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Anyone tried the firmware update? I downloaded the instructions, and they are 22 PAGES long! :eek: Any advice will be appreciated, as I am at least momentarily intimidated.

Just bought one, and it appears that the firmware is at least 2 updates old. :(

22 pages but..

They are mostly pictures. It looks intimidating but if you follow it step by step, it shouldnt be a problem. This is supposed to be a one time only type procedure as future updates are supposed to be greatly simplified.
It was pretty easy to do on mine. I think some of the pictures didnt exactly match the ones in the document because of differences in windows versions, but they were close.

Supposedly, you can also send your unit back to the dealer and they can update it for you if you are not sure.

You can also call me sometime during the late afternoons or weekends and I can help you update it over the phone if you would like.

Firmware/software

I too just finished the update to 01/04, I also had a few different screens on a neighbors PC. My unit had the Version that allowed the skip to step 6
on pg 19. when you finish the firmware duplicate for the software, the software news letter doesn't say how to update.I just followed the prompts the same as for the firmware,

The factory will do it

I spoke with Honeywell-Bendix-King support in Olathe today, and they will do the update if I send my unit in. They were very helpful. I took them up on their offer.:eek:

Great customer Service for AV8OR

With only one call to cust. service at Honeywell-Bendix-King, the tech did not recommend that I try the firmware update, and offered to have the unit brought up to the current specs at the factory.

Pretty good customer service in my book!! No hassle at all.

One thing I did when I got the unit, was to back-up the SD card. I always figured if I really blew up the unit trying to update anything, I could always just reload the whole file set. I'm not sure if it would actually be that simple, but I can't see why not. Just copy everything on the card, including the tree structure of the files. Then, everything should go right back to where it started.

After trying to get the update installed several times, I finally gave up....

Then I happened to drop by the Bendix King booth today at Sun and Fun, mentioned the problem, and they updated it for me (I happened to have it in the car).

The tech said that a number of folks have had trouble getting the firmware to take and that he had done over 40 since the event began. So, sending it in to them might not be the most be convenient but will get it done.

I personally have done two firmware updates on my unit - granted the instructions are not exactly the easiest to follow and the second update was easier than the first - but I have never had an issue.

I have has more issue flashing my DVD burner than the AV8OR

Couldn't Resist..........

Well, I've never flashed anything, let alone a DVD burner! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input, but as I said earlier, I took the factory up on their offer to do the update for me.

I need help!

I have failed miserably in my attempt to update my AV8OR. Now the Demo won't run, the time to my next waypoint never changes, and I am unable to configure my map.

Pete Hunt or anyone else, what number did you call to get the factory to do the update for you? I have called every number I could find in the manual and on both the Honeywell and Bendix-King websites. They either refer me back to the number I previously called or they don't know what the AV8OR is.

I have failed miserably in my attempt to update my AV8OR. Now the Demo won't run, the time to my next waypoint never changes, and I am unable to configure my map.

Pete Hunt or anyone else, what number did you call to get the factory to do the update for you? I have called every number I could find in the manual and on both the Honeywell and Bendix-King websites. They either refer me back to the number I previously called or they don't know what the AV8OR is.

I called the Honeywell-Bendix-King customer service number, and ended up leaving a message. The technician called me back same day, and gave me his email address. He said it was nearly impossible to call in direct, due to the way the phone system worked. He has responded to my emails quickly.

I will email him, and see if I can get his permission to pass along his email address. In the meantime, try the customer service number routine. You will begin with someone overseas,:(, but they will transfer you to the tech hotline in the states, where you can leave a message.

BTW, as of two days ago, the unit has not been returned to me.