ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I just bought a used AV8OR GPS along with a WxWorx XM weather unit to replace my Lowrance 600C unit which went obsolete before my plane ever flew. I am interested in having this GPS run my Trio autopilot as well running weather and a Zaon XRX PCS. I found out a few things about this set up from Bendix/King and I wanted to share them with you.

-The GPS has a single mini USB port. This port can be configured to output NMEA data (for the AP), to drive the WxWorx REWX91D or a KDR 610 XM Weather receiver, or to communicate with the Zaon XRX...pick one.

-You can also connect either the XM receiver or the Zaon via Bluetooth. Once again, pick one.

-So, if you think you can have XM weather, Zaon traffic, and drive your auto pilot, think again. You can only have two of the above.

-I would think that communication to the XM or Zaon via the USB involves speaking in NMEA but I'm not sure how to tap into that. Bendix King says that the GPS doesn't send NMEA data unless you tell it to but if you do that, it won't be able to talk to XM or Zaon. That sounds fishey to me.*

So, since I have already mounted a Zaon MRX into my panel, I guess my choice will be to change the XM wired module to *a Bluetooth module and buy the USB to DB9 connector cable so that I can drive my AP.

I'm interested if anybody has found a workaround and has been able to connect all three items to the GPS.

Neither the Xm or the Zaon will be speaking NMEA...

Not sure what format the XM units use. I suspect it is a much more robust protocol than NMEA. It must transfer a ton of data.

The Zaon typically uses TIS protocol for talking to other units.

The Garmins have the ability to put out NMEA for the autopilot but to accept TIS in for the Zaon/330 etc. on the same port since one will only be using the transmit line and one will only be using the receive line. Is this possibly an option on the AV8OR?

Last edited:
I have read in several places that the AV8OR has "...dual Bluetooth interfaces for alternate devices such as a cell phone, XM weather receiver, or alternate GPS Receiver"

So you could BT the Zaon and XM boxes and use the serial for the autopilot.

I double checked on this and called Bendix King again. They verified that you can use only one BT item (weather or traffic) not both. They said that the AV8OR ACE has that capability but not the standard AV8OR.

I agree they imply that you can have it all but it seems that is not the case. I wish I was able to test it though. The set up in the AV8OR allows me to select both weather and traffic on the BT, at least in the software version that I have now.