N804RV

Well Known Member
Way back when I bought my last GPS, I had to buy a subscription from Jeppesen that provided periodic update files that contained raw "Nav-Data".

With my Garmin Pilot App, the basic app updates all chart data and prompts for downloads automatically for one annual subscription price.

But, with my AV8OR, I have a SD data card that contains a Jeppesen database (raw nav data?) plus the charts I select to purchase through my choice of subscritption options.

My question is this:

1) Do I have to update this Jeppesen data base as well as the chart subscription?

I have a 1 year chart subscription from Seattle Avionics. But, my Jeppesen database is dated Augus 2009. And, I can't figure out any way of updating it.

For the NAV database you have to go to the Bendix King site, SA only supply the charts

So you can update one or both if you wish, but you dont have to

BK has a page for the AV8OR. You get software & firmware updates, and everything else but charts. Those are from Seattle Avionics.

The updater is a Java application and requires the latest version of Java. It's the only pain in the process. Once plugged in, the updater finds the SD card and lets you know what you have, and what is available.

I finally found all this info. It was printed on the back of the packaging that the SD ROM card is in, and nowhere else! B/K's Wingman Services site is not very inviting to someone who absolutely despises the blatant marketing gimmick that is the OEM warranty/product registration concept.

After a couple of flights with the AV8OR Ace vs. the iPad/Garmin Pilot app with a Bluetooth GPS puck on the glareshield, I decided I like using the iPad better.

I sold the AV8OR Ace on Ebay. I managed to get almost all of what I paid for it. The new owner got a great deal, and since I never registered it, he should be able to register it like new and get the updated software/firmware. from B/K. I wrote him a note that will hopefully explain all this a little better than the documentation that came with the unit.

I'll be getting the Aera 796, or whatever replaces it for my VFR panel when the time comes.

Last edited: