gblwy

Well Known Member
Anyone know offhand what kind of plug fits the auxiliary power socket on the bulkhead below the seats?

I'd like to power a video camera from this.

Thanks...Keith

Power Port

Here in the USA all our cars use to come with a Cigarette lighter. People began calling this socket that the lighter went into a power port as smoking became less in style. Now all new cars have this same socket but its called a power port. Do cars in Scotland have power ports? If so it maybe the same plug.

John
RV12 N1212K

Ah the Scottish dilemma :)

Having been to Scotland a number of times, the rental cars have the same socket usually used to plug in "the nav" as those in the UK call it. Basically it is a twelve volt socket that accepts what we call a "Cigarette lighter power adapter" i.e cell charger, iPad or iPod car charger, etc.

Look on the site for your vid cam manufacturer and see if they have a twelve volt adapter.

Power socket

Got some from Stein. Not too expensive. I'm using with in-line fuse. I suspect he could ship to you. Good luck.

Bill

Thanks

Thanks, guys. I took a look inside the 12v socket today with a dentist's mirror and a torch. I'd call it a cigarette lighter too ;-) And my video camera has a cigarette lighter power cable, so I'm all set. Now just need to hook up the audio, and mount the camera in the fibreglass fin cap.

Cheers...Keith

Doesn't work

Spoke too soon. I've got no power at the terminal... :-(

Cheers....Keith

Fixed

False alarm. I was running stuff from a 12 Volt supply, but forgot to attach the auxiliary power supply wire ring terminal to the supply - I forgot it comes straight off the battery via its own 5A in-line fuse.

Cheers...Keith

Allen Starr RV3B

I have a auxillary power port on my panel marked 12 volt. It is much smaller than the standard "cigarette lighter" style plug ins we are used to. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a male/female set up like this? I want to plug in my Garmin 396 to this.

Thanks,
Al

It's kinda hard to guess what kind of outlet you may have, but I'll throw this idea out for consideration. If the outlet sort of looks like a cigarette lighter outlet, but it's about 1/2 the size, then it might be the same outlet that BMW motorcycles use to power heated clothing and other accessories.

I'm not sure what the technical name for the outlet is, but Powerlet seems to be the dominant brand. If you do a search, some folks also call them a Hella outlet.

In any case, here's a link to the Powerlet website. The pictures do a pretty good job showing the relative size difference as compared to a regular cigarette lighter plug.

http://www.powerlet.com/products

I bought my Powerlet products from one of their retailers:

www.easternbeaver.com

I would not recommend Susquehanna. Their products seem to be on perpetual backorder... Like 5 months...

Hope this helps.

Last edited: