GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Has anybody increased the fuel capacity of their RV9A to 60gal or more in the wings? I have a friend who is negotiating to buy a 9A but wants it with longer range. He would keep the same MGW so he is willing to sacrifice payload for range but he normally flys alone anyways. :cool:

A few of us have, yes. I'm not flying yet but I converted my outboard leading edges to fuel tanks, to add about 34 gallons (calculated/estimated - not measured yet).

Pat Tuckey did this on his 8 and has some very good drawings for his design if you'll search for them on here. I modified his idea slightly for my 9A. You can look at my builders log for a little more info. It's a lot easier to do before the wings are closed out but I suppose you could retrofit, if you're willing to unskin the wings.

I've seen a 9 at Oshkosh with full leading edges converted to fuel tanks. He bent new profiles using long aluminum sheet of heavier gage. Enormous amount of fuel it holds. Have a picture somewhere in the archives. Also I had an opportunity to see different concept of building extended range tanks on RV8 by famous Aerodynamix leader no pictures sorry :)

Last edited:
Here are those tanks I saw at Oshkosh 2007.

ft1.jpg

121.jpg

Rotary RV-9A w/long range tanks

Check out a Canadian rotary guy (Todd Bartrim's) web site on how he added leading edge and tips tanks. Not saying it is or isn't a good idea to do that, the pilot in command has to make that call before take off...

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A (90116) on hold; RV-3A restoration in progress!

http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm