ww2planes

Well Known Member
If you could get 11 to 12 gallons per side out of auxillary tanks would you pay $1800.00 for the set? I think that I have a tank design for those of you that have very durable, long range backsides. This would be another 2 full hours of flying and most likely 300 nm or more. I know that on a friends 6A we typically get his engine leaned out to about 9 to 9.2 gph during cruise.

I intend on trying this design in my 7A. I have a simple system that can be easily installed during the closing of a wing. As far as existing wings I will have to check out the install process out after closing my first wing. This is all theory right now and this post is more to get an idea of interest. I do have the materials ordered and shoud have a mock up this week. Thanks for any input.

Tell me more

Yeah, I'd like to learn more. My wings are QB, just as open as the day they came off the truck.

It's not so much about range and endurance as it is about filling up wherever gas is cheap.

I know a guy with a -4 that simply sealed the bulkheads one more compartment out. Then trimmed the Van's outer skins, and made new skins for the tanks themselves.

Here are some on the market already.

ww2planes said:
If you could get 11 to 12 gallons per side out of auxillary tanks would you pay $1800.00 for the set? I think that I have a tank design for those of you that have very durable, long range backsides. This would be another 2 full hours of flying and most likely 300 nm or more. I know that on a friends 6A we typically get his engine leaned out to about 9 to 9.2 gph during cruise.

I intend on trying this design in my 7A. I have a simple system that can be easily installed during the closing of a wing. As far as existing wings I will have to check out the install process out after closing my first wing. This is all theory right now and this post is more to get an idea of interest. I do have the materials ordered and shoud have a mock up this week. Thanks for any input.
Here are two companies making them now:

http://www.safeair1.com/HWA/HWA_top.htm

and

http://www.flymore.com.au/
(The flymore wing tip tanks are all fiberglass, are not shown on the site anymore)

Last edited:
Please Note GMC

Gotcha on this one. You are very informed when it comes to aeronautical engineering but you missed the details. I am estimating 11 to 12 gallons per side. I have not seen anyone that can match it. If you know of anyone with this volume I would appreciate the info.

It'd be a bit interesting to see how you propose to fit another 12 gallons in each side. I seriously think the best way to tackle this is the way I describe above.

I Agree

I agree that altering the outer leading edge would probably be the best way, however I am hoping for a minimal amount of disassembly for the mod. The quantities listed are via mathematical calculations and giving my skills with math there may be variances. Time will tell. I expect that it will be a month or two before I get the first tank done.

another 12? how about 20?

It been done before on an RV-8A, I've seen it! make the whole leading edge of the wing into a fuel tank and you get around 80 gallons total (~40 per side). Put the landing lights into the wingtip and you're set.

If you can find someone to bend a .032 skin in the shape of the leading edge it would make things pretty easy. You could even use your old leading edge skins to layout the rivet holes. Add stiffeners and stuff, just like the old tank.

spar stress shouldn't be a concern, if anything it should be less with the extra fuel onboard.

What about spin and roll control? Does anyone know if the extra weight outboard would cause any stability issues?

ww2planes said:
Gotcha on this one. You are very informed when it comes to aeronautical engineering but you missed the details. I am estimating 11 to 12 gallons per side. I have not seen anyone that can match it. If you know of anyone with this volume I would appreciate the info.

An RV7 fully loaded with 2 people, full fuel and baggage is already a bit iffy for desired gross weight and for the CG to shift out of spec when most of the fuel burns off.

You might really want to think hard before putting another 132 pounds out there in the wings unless you fly alone... a lot.
The standard tanks on the '7 are good for nearly 5 hours endurance, and other than for flying to Europe, I don't see a big need (or desireability) for increasing the flying weight of the aircraft.