Rick_A

Well Known Member
I am planning on installing a 4.5 Ahr AUX battery in my -7A for my GRT's. I'm looking for idea's on where and how to mount it. I'm leaning towards putting it on the left side of the firewall.

Idea's and pictures would be greatly appreciated. If you built a custom battery box, I'd love to see what you did. Thanks.

Mine is Velcroed right on top of my AHRS - and it can't travel forward (in a sudden deceleration) because it buts up against a bulkhead (the rear of the forward baggage bin on my -8. I use wide Velcro, so the whole thing is very well attached!

Simple, requires no metal fabrication, and keeps it out of the hot engine compartment.

Just one answer

Paul

In my -10, the second battery is in back right next to the main battery.

The -10 needs weight in the back when flying solo anyway, so I choose to make it useful weight.

I also added a "Start Boost" contactor to tie the two together for starting loads in case the main batt goes down. Switch and tattletale light right next to the ignition key.

Mike

gmcjetpilot said:
I remember seeing this: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=106969&ck=
Cool side of firewall, goodness.
That's a neat install, but I don't think it would work for my airplane; the copilot brake lines run right through that area. :( Like Rick I have been thinking about this issue, because I'm also trying to find a home for a little standby battery. Right now I'm leaning towards fabricating a sturdy little aluminum box for it and putting it on the engine side of the firewall somewhere, wherever it'll fit. I'm always on the lookout for better ideas though!

mcb

Works on a Tip Up

avionicsbatteryqp4.jpg

Very nice Peter ...

I may try to adapt your design to mount on the firewall. What do you have across the bottom of the battery box?

Battery Box

Just a piece of 063 Aluminium.

You can see the Al angle riveted on the side to support it.

No nutplates on the top support bar. I just tapped the Al Angle for AN3 . ie. 3/16" tap.

Of course the access is easy on a Tip Up.
Pete.