jbDC9

Well Known Member
Not to re-ignite any debate on the pros/cons of auto store alternators vs Plane Power or B&C alternators, but I thought I'd share a funny story regarding my recent AutoZone experience.

My original alternator was the stock Vans 60a unit; it lasted almost 2 years and 350 hours when it went belly up in 2008. I replaced it with a 14684 model from AutoZone; the price was $96 with a $50 core charge, so including tax/core I was out the door for around 104 bucks. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago; was out in a 3 ship gaggle with the Weiser guys headed to get some "cheap" gas at Brazoria County when the BRL (Big Red Light) came on. Low voltage, oops. I couldn't get the alternator back online, so I did a U-turn and headed back to the hangar to yank the offending alternator; I really can't get too irritated about it, it lasted 5 years, 702 hrs and part of that time had a little nose case oil leak getting it wet!

So, I pull it and head to the nearest AutoZone hoping that their "lifetime warranty" will actually hold up. They didn't have a 14684 in stock, but with a transfer from a store across town the new one was in hand by 2pm and yes, the warranty was still good. The best part was the price; the price on this thing has dropped a bit over the last 5 years, the current price being $82 with a $20 core charge. I would have been happy enough to hand 'em the bad unit and get a new (reman) unit in it's place, but wait, the guy at the counter says "I owe you some money"... I hadn't done the math in my head and was thinking I might get 5 bucks back, but he starts counting up cash out of the register and hands me 47 dollars. "Huh?" says I. "Yep" is his reply. "Really?" "Yep." I figured at this point I'll just shut up, take my new alternator and my $47 and head for the door before he wises up and takes his money back...

I know some will say that these alternators are junk, but I'm okay with 5 yrs/700 hrs on this one and their warranty coverage just blew me away. Perhaps with the new unit I'll run it 6-700 hrs and then take it to an auto electric shop for a preemptive overhaul... I'll hopefully have a couple of years to figure that part out.

WOW! good thing you didnt tell him was an airplane!! most shops turn and run when you say airplane. Not boat, tractor trailer. but airplane.
it fits quite a few imported models of vehicles.
Tom

gotta keep drivin' the old Honda.....

As long as I have the 1978 Honda Civic CVCC with no air I can get a free new alternator at Advance Auto Parts....... ;)

I too find this a great reason to run an automotive alternator.

experience a bit different

Rollin' down the taxiway, preparing for a local flight. Newly minted RV4 with
55 hours and a Honda civic alternator 14184 and the Ford regulator. Putting out 14.2 volts. Alternator belt tension was checked at about 40 hours and was 7-8 ft/lbs. Halfway down the taxiway heard a very high pitched sound. Not the sound you get from screeching fan belt that needs lube or tightened. This was a single tone. Turned off the radio. No difference. Changed RPM no difference.
Then it stopped. Then I got the smell of burned paper in the cockpit but no smoke. EFIS said 12.8 volts. High tailed off the taxiway and got the phillips out of the travel backpack and took off the top cowl. The fan belt was broke clean and the alternator was locked up. So much for the 14184 and its bearings. Now running a B&C lightweight and B&C regulator. Different comfort levels for different folks. End of story.

1978 Honda CVCC

I actually HAVE a 1978 Honda CVCC(well, the engine is a heavily modified '83 1.8L) if you ever need photographic proof :D :D

WOW! good thing you didnt tell him was an airplane!! most shops turn and run when you say airplane. Not boat, tractor trailer. but airplane.
it fits quite a few imported models of vehicles.
Tom

It's for an RV, right??

Rollin' down the taxiway, preparing for a local flight. Newly minted RV4 with
55 hours and a Honda civic alternator 14184 and the Ford regulator. Putting out 14.2 volts. Alternator belt tension was checked at about 40 hours and was 7-8 ft/lbs. Halfway down the taxiway heard a very high pitched sound. Not the sound you get from screeching fan belt that needs lube or tightened. This was a single tone. Turned off the radio. No difference. Changed RPM no difference.
Then it stopped. Then I got the smell of burned paper in the cockpit but no smoke. EFIS said 12.8 volts. High tailed off the taxiway and got the phillips out of the travel backpack and took off the top cowl. The fan belt was broke clean and the alternator was locked up. So much for the 14184 and its bearings. Now running a B&C lightweight and B&C regulator. Different comfort levels for different folks. End of story.

People have had failures with every brand of alternator, but yes, different comfort levels for everyone.

I actually HAVE a 1978 Honda CVCC(well, the engine is a heavily modified '83 1.8L) if you ever need photographic proof :D :D

That is great to know! :D

Tell the Truth

When they ask what kind of vehicle it came off of, I tell them "an RV". Which model? A Kohler. Never heard of them, must not be many on the road. You're probably right.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

interesting... if I plug in 78 Civic CVCC on autozone, the 14184 alternator comes up as $23.99 with a $20 core :D

"Home made off-road vehicle" truthfully answers all the parts guy's questions...

Perfect! But in this case, he didn't ask and I didn't tell... but I was ready to go with "why yes, I'm still driving an '87 Suzuki Samurai; they just last forever don't they?" :)

Sami

Perfect! But in this case, he didn't ask and I didn't tell... but I was ready to go with "why yes, I'm still driving an '87 Suzuki Samurai; they just last forever don't they?" :)

I owned one. Loved it. I sold to buy a Tracker aka Vitara. Love it too. Especially the price. $300.

It should be noted that one could get their warranty alternator in any corner of the country they might be, a long way from home and in short order be back on your way. Try that with a boutique alternator.

It should be noted that one could get their warranty alternator in any corner of the country they might be, a long way from home and in short order be back on your way. Try that with a boutique alternator.

Exactly.

I did catch the bearings starting to go bad on a Honda alternator after a few hundred hours. I now drop the belt at each oil change and spin the pulley just in case.....gives me another excuse to reset belt tension. Takes all of five minutes or so.

Wire

This thread truly answers the age old question:

Q - How do they make wire????

A - Let 2 pilots fight over a penny!

:D Drum roll....

This thread truly answers the age old question:

Q - How do they make wire????

A - Let 2 pilots fight over a penny!

:D Drum roll....

funny and all, but pilots are forced to spend huge sums of money for terrible products that who can blame them wanting to save a buck?

If I have to buy another stupid gill G-35 I swear I'm going to lose it ;)

Rocketbob and others hit the nail on the head... why pay for a boutique alternator and get stranded somewhere when virtually every town with an airport will have at least one Autozone... probably more!

Of the two mentioned, the Suzuki looks attractive due to the dual case mounting lugs vs only only one case lug for the Honda. I'd expect this to make it a bit easier to mount, and less side load on the bearings..

... but I digress. Are either of these alternators internally regulated?

I'd be happy to hear a few more comments from satisfied users.

Anyone know the weights?

Thanks in advance.

I'm 100% with electric bob about internal regulation. It has no place in an aircraft. go with the external regulated ND and the ford regulator and add overvoltage protection.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

Rollin' down the taxiway, preparing for a local flight. Newly minted RV4 with 55 hours and a Honda civic alternator 14184 and the Ford regulator.

I thought the 14184 was internally regulated? I have the Vans NipponDenso 14684 internally regulated 60 amp alternator and it is still going strong at 780 hours. I love B&C products though. I have one of their starters.

In other threads people said the 14684 was from the Samuri but the on line references I found said it was from a Toyota forklift!

Anyone know of a similar autozone alternator off a similar backward-turning honda or equivalent that might be more in the 60A range?

edit: reading comprehension is fun...

14684: http://www.armatureserviceco.com/ShowItem/135035 14684 NIPPONDENSO ALTERNATOR.aspx is internally regulated. Is there something similar that's externally regulated?

Don't let an alternator that fits your requirements yet turns the "wrong" way prevent you from using it. Field history has proved that alternators can be reliable in our application regardless of whether on not they are rotating the "correct" way. The 14184 as delivered by Vans several years ago did not have a fan even though the automotive versions we purchase now do. Having a blast tube aimed at the diodes is good practice regardless of the alternator used.