redhawk

Well Known Member
I am thinking of buying a -8 in which I would want to install a autopilot.
...Just looking for any recommendations. I am thinking of a basic 2 axis, and how difficult would this be to install?
Thanks

Tru Track - positive review

I have a Tru Track with altitude hold paired to a Garmin 430 in my -7A. It is really very good and their support has been fantastic. TT has on line docs / drawings for the install of pitch & roll servos in RV-8 on their website. It looks like the pitch servo is tied to the bellcrank and the roll servo mounts under the seat.

TruTrack

You can't go wrong with TT. They have great support and their product has been out for a long time.

Kent, 'a happy customer'.

I will add my .02c for the TruTrack.

And, if by any chance the plane has a GRT EFIS already in it, TruTrack developed the DigiFlight II to work with it.

Give the good folks at TT a call.

I've had good luck with Trio. I really prefer their servo, as it is disengaged from the flight controls when not in use. I don't think you can go wrong with either vendor.

TT all the way

I also have a TruTrack ADI Pilot II and it has operated flawlessly from day one. I was chatting with Andrew from TT at the Petit Jean fly-in this weekend and mentioned that it seems to wander a bit sometimes in holding altitude. However, I watched it closely on the way home at 3000' in some pretty bumpy air and it was pretty much rock solid. For the price, I don't think you can beat it for ease of installation or value.

With their new generation of AP coming out, if all you really want or need is a simple 2-axis AP like what I have, I think you'll be able to make out like a bandit when guys like me -- who have to upgrade just because -- start looking for buyers for their old AP units so that they can buy the new stuff. :D

Tru Track does make a great auto pilot; however, if the plane as a Dynon D100 or D10A installed, then you will do very well by intalling a Dynon auto pilot.

I am thinking of buying a -8 in which I would want to install a autopilot.
...Just looking for any recommendations. I am thinking of a basic 2 axis, and how difficult would this be to install?
Thanks

Everyone's jumping ahead to a solution. We've yet to hear your mission requirements and what the current installed panel equipment may be. That may determine which vendor can provide a bigger bang for the buck.

To answer your specific question, installing an AP isn't that hard. Installing servos may be a tight squeeze, but not difficult.

bob

The Trio Pro

Pilot was my choice for my RV-8. I love its ease of operation and its capabilities.
The tech support is awsome.
Steve

I picked up a used Trutrack thru the VAF site and have been very happy. I do plan to upgrade the head unit to the new Gemini once it is available.

That said, I'm with Bob and others that the decision will be influenced by your mission and your current systems.

I wanted a two axis system.

As for installation, it's not too difficult but being a contourtionist or knowing one will help :)

You will end up taking all the seats out to install the servos and get the wire harness in place. In my case, Running to the pitch servo was the mental challenge as there is one section you cant expose. (I can elaborate if you getvthis far. I have some hints that worked for me.) You'll also need to be in/under/behind the panel for both the wire harness and pitot static connections. It took me three weekends and a few evenings to do everything.

I have had nothing but good luck with Trio units. I have installed 3 units in 3 planes and all have worked flawlessly with different GPS's. Company feedback and service 2nd to none.

Like with EFIS's, most RV builders have experience with the one that they decided to buy (usually for good reasons!), and therefore it is hard to compare them from what you get posted. The good news about both Trio and TruTrak is that both of them work very well - either can control an RV, and do so with pretty good user interfaces.

One thing to think about is if you are going to interface to fancy NAV or EFIS equipment, you'll want to talk with the folks that build (or fly) those fancy things to see how well they have designed their interfaces to autopilots, or if they designed around a particular autopilot - in which case, that would probably be the best choice. Most all of the digital Autopilots work great and install almost identically if you are looking for standalone capability.

Paul

Yup...what he said!

Like Paul mentioned, you may need an interface to make all the bells and whistles talk to each other - beside head hold and altitude hold.

I added an ARINC box to make my AFS4500 talk and control the auto pilot.

For me it was a real easy thing to do and very minimal wiring because I knew I was going to upgrade it once I had the $500.

Good Luck,

Blue Mountain blues

I am looking at buying a ship with a 2 screen Blue Mountain system with autopilot. I know the company is out of business, but the rest of the plane is so nice I'm thinking of making the sacrifice.
The autopilot is having troubles with altitude hold and heading and the attitude indicators were not functioning quite right. (It's all a new plane coming together with these avionics)
Does anyone have experience with fine tuning this system? Are there shops out there that might work on these?
Should I just rip it out and make it a decoration in the fish tank?
Thanks for the input!

I am looking at buying a ship with a 2 screen Blue Mountain system with autopilot. I know the company is out of business, but the rest of the plane is so nice I'm thinking of making the sacrifice.
The autopilot is having troubles with altitude hold and heading and the attitude indicators were not functioning quite right. (It's all a new plane coming together with these avionics)
Does anyone have experience with fine tuning this system? Are there shops out there that might work on these?
Thanks for the input!

I would place $0 value on the BM gear and assume that you'll have to replace it with another vendors product as part of your purchase decision of the aircraft.

I suspect that are folks that would take the frugal approach as long as you fly VFR only and attempt to work through the issues without factory support.

If you fly any IFR, then I think it's a no brainer.

If I were making the decision, I would look to replace the BM EFIS and AP. My personal minimum is to require current factory support on all my avionics.

bob

Thanks for the input!

You are considering buying a plane that has no flight instruments or autopilot. Your decision should be biased accordingly.

The fish will love it. ;)

I would place $0 value on the BM gear and assume that you'll have to replace it with another vendors product as part of your purchase decision of the aircraft.
bob

I actually put negative value on it since it has to go thru the process of pulling out and putting in something that works. I was considering buying a plane that had BM avionics in it and then decided to build one. One of the best decision I have made when it comes to RV.

I can't offer a real comparison because I only have experience with TruTrak. I have over 800 hours on mine and it performs extremely well. It was a fairly easy, straight forward install and the tech service at TruTrak is excellent. I did not add auto-trim at first. While the ap performed just fine without it, life is much better with it installed. It is an easy install as well and well worth the money. Something to consider.