jscottpilot

I will be finishing my wings soon and I know nothing about autopilots. I was wondering what might be the best value on autopilots? Also, is it possible to buy and install the servos in the wing without buying the whole autopilot system now? Just trying to conserve some cash during the airframe phase. I would like to have heading and altitude hold nothing more.

You might try searching "autopilot" in the search engine--you should find a significant number of extensive threads on this topic. The Trio and Trutrak systems will, by far, have the most advocates, and each has a slightly different feature set. Either can be done at any time in the build/flying process. Again, though, check the previous threads. Good luck.

Don't "Finish" your wings until just before you attach them to the fuselage. That last bottom skin doesn't take more than an afternoon to rivet on, and there's no need to put it on until you HAVE TO. That was one of the last things I did before moving the plane to the airport for final assembly.

This will give you time to decide what AP servos you want and to buy them as late in the game as possible. It will be so much easier to install the servos before that skin is permanently in place.

I only have experience with the Trio EZ Pilot. I had no trouble installing the servo in a completed wing using the Installation Kit from Safeair1. If you use the Safeair1 kit you would need to attach the wing tip with screws and nutplates rather than rivets to be able to gain access to the servo which is mounted in the outermost wing bay.
Fin
9A

Autopilot Servos

I have the Tru-trak system in my 8 and I love it. The roll servo goes under the front seat. The pitch servo goes just aft of the elevator bellcrank aft the of the baggage compartment. If you go with the Tru-trak you won't need the servos until you're finishing the fuselage. They can also be installed post first flight but it is a bit more trouble.

Tru-trak allows you to buy any part seperatly rather than all at once.

Check their web site out. They have pdf. files showing the installation etc.

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL (No. One Girl)
200hp Dream Machine producing a permanent grin!!!!!!

Call Alex D

J Scott,

Call or email Alex at Trutrak and he will send you the parts for the autopilot with a down payment of about $50. I just received mine and will be putting them in the right wing.
Good luck,

The Trio is an outstanding autopilot and there is no problem installing it in the finished wing. Running the wiring in advance could save you some time later.

Pat Stewat