dclay

Has anyone installed an autopilot in a completed -4? If so, what brand did you install and where did you mount the servos?

Thanks,
David

Yes.....

.....we're going through that now with my buddy's -4. The aileron servo mounts under the floorboard, on the right side. A hole allows the pushrod to go through the fore-aft web and connects to a clamped-on arm on the torque tube. The elevator servo mounts behind the elevator horn, under the baggage shelf.

Tru-trak has a PDF file at their web site that shows the installs on the different airplanes.

Regards,

I installed a three axis TruTrak in my RV-4 about 2 years after completion. It is hardly a monumental task. Installation is straightforward. Spring for altitude hold. You will never regret it. Adding an a/p to an RV is the best investment you can make and Tru Trak's customer service is impeccable.

Pierre, Doug,

Thanks for the feedback!! That was just what I was hoping for. I?ve been looking at the TruTrak ADI Pilot II but was concerned about how difficult the servo install was going to be. Given this information I think this is the route I?m going to take.

David

I didn't want to drill out and reinstall the rivets for the elevator pivot bracket in the cramped confines of my RV-4's baggage compartment. I modified the bracket from TruTrak and piggybacked it onto the old bracket. Much easier, IMHO.

dscn0003bm8.jpg

dscn0018eh5.jpg