AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I preordered a TruTrak Gemini to replace a non-working Pictorial Pilot. The roll servo is already installed so I just need to put the pitch servo and head unit in. I am not too worried about the physical install. The wiring is what seems overwhelming though since I have never done any. I am not the builder of this or any other plane.

Can someone point me toward a book I remember being discussed in some other threads. It seemed like an airplane electronics bible of sorts but I cannot find anything that looks like it on the web. I would also be interested in any tool suggestions. Like a crimper or anything else I am ultimately going to need.

One other thing. I really want to jockey around some of the things on my panel. Is it fair to assume that the wiring harnesses used to build the panel with be too short to re-use if say I was to move a GPS from one side of the panel to the other, or move the radio stack over 6 inches. Things like that. I am presumming that you cannot simply splice wire extensions to the current harnesses.

I am really just trying to decide what I can bite off and what I should leave alone at this point. Thanks! Andy

AeroElectric Connection by Bob Nuckolls. Available a few different places and perhaps in .pdf for online, but worth every penny for the hard copy. Great place to start.

Wiring, connectors, etc. and tools from SteinAir. Best customer service I've ever received, ever. They advertise the book as well.

Stein can also punch you up a wiring diagram that will make it much easier if you have other tie ins to do as well.

Before you get too far into this, you may want to give the fine folks at Steinair a call and chat about them making up a wiring harness for you.

When I built my plane, I had them make up a harness which made adding the autopilot equipment nearly plug and play.

Good Luck,
Jason

As always, you can pay for an easy solution or tackle the project on your own.

Wiring is one of those things that most do not feel comfortable tackling on their own. No problem. Lots of people in that club.

If you want to learn the how to do it (and you can), an investment in the proper tools will be necessary.

1. Wire strippers
2. Pin crimpers
3. Terminal crimpers
4. Pin insertion/extraction tool
5. Side cutters

To name a few primary tools.

Plus, the correct wire gauge (usually between 18 and 22) for the task at hand. If you want to get more organized, red for hot wires, black for ground, white for signal, blue for signal ground, etc., etc.

Most installation kits come with instructions and required connectors. Start the project by reading the installation instructions to get your head around the task. Lay out all the parts and tools and run one wire at a time until done.

Last edited:
Nuckoll's book has lots of good info in it, but not a lot practical application to fabbing up d-subs or other harness tasks. Talking to Stein is a great idea, and he has a good series of videos as well. He can also make a wiring diagram for you which is a big time saver. Each wire has two ends, and as long as you know where they go, and can terminate them for the connection type, you're in business. Raymo's list of tools is a good start, some sort of DVM is helpful too.

==dave==
N102FM

Thanks everyone! I spoke with Stein today and he helped me order a bunch of tools and wire and a book and whatnot. I am excited to get started.