hydroguy2

Well Known Member
first...be easy on me. I've never flown an autopilot, let alone started one up for the first time. So...

I got the wires from the control unit to the servo terminated tonight. I still need to figure out the GPS interconnect and also put in a servo disconnect button near the throttle. But I just had to flip on the power to check it out. the ailerons rocked a couple times and I could here the servo working a little. I toggled the "crs-int" switch and the servo started slowly driving the aileron. I assume I changed the course and it was trying to correct. I could feel resistance in the roll system when active(I could easily overpower it), but hitting the "servo" button disconnected and all was quiet.

Anyway, just wondering if this sounds normal. I'll be finishing the wiring tomorrow after work hopefully and maybe a test fly on Sunday.

How did the installation go on an already flying plane, Brian? I've got the money set aside to buy the servos (already have an AP-74 to go along with my D180) but am wondering how much of a hassle it's going to be to install the servo in the wing. I like flying too much to have the plane down for long!

I used the Trio wing mount with a Navaid Servo. It went right in. I too was wondering how easy reaching through the inspection port would be. I don't think it took an hour total including removal of my old servo and mount. It is a little tough getting both hands in there. I would also borrow my friend creeper with a tilting back rest, to get a little closer.

Alpine,
It may depend on the type of RV, but I've installed many servos in finished wings and tails and it isn't a big job. Very simple and straightforward with the install kit and brackets.

Welcome to the world of boring cross country trips. I just love to click in the AP and watch the scenery go wooshing by. It sure makes the long flights easier.

Maybe on some of these boring trps, I can pick up the good camera vs the quick snapshot of my cell phone.

Now what I need to know is...I plan on hooking Trio to my AvMap GPS. This output is also tied to my Dynon 180. Is this going to be a issue or will they play nice together?

I suspect the two units will work together, but you need to be sure they are speaking the same language, and running at the same baud rate.

And yes, what you noticed when you first lit off the AP was the same as mine does if engaged on the ground.

Brian, I am just wrapping up a ADI Pilot II install on my -6, it has the roll servo below the left seat pan rather than in the wing. I am feeding it with a Garmin 296. Power-on behaviors probably differ somewhat from one AP to another but it sounds like you are on the right track as far as the servo responses on the ground.

My install went pretty smoothly as a whole, but any time you are retrofitting a system to an existing airframe there ends up being a lot of time spent figuring out the best way to work around existing structure and systems - at least, I found that true with mine.

Anyways, the annual will be done within a couple days, then flight test/calibration. But I am really looking forward to being able to relax and not hand fly every minute of those longer trips.....