bhassel

Well Known Member
I have been looking for the autopilot parts (server brackets, doublers, etc.).

I did not have Chapter 39 included in my plans (kit ordered in June and shipped in August of 2013). I called and Van's emailed me a version of Chapter 39. Now after looking at the plans I was thinking it might be a good idea to install F-1269 (doubler) before putting on the nut plates. This way I won't have to drill out a nutplate rivet, later.

However, I can't even find the F-1269 doubler listed in my packing slip or hardware inventory sheet.

I suspect I may have had an early enough kit that the autopilot kit parts were not automatically shipped with the Fuse kit.

So, I have 2 questions:
1) where in the packing list would I find the F-1269 doubler if I had one?
2) Does it make sense to put the doubler in prior to putting the nutplates on the seat rib?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I ordered my autopilot kit along with the fuselage kit so can?t answer your first question with certainty ? all the brackets, hardware, rivets, etc came in a plastic bag, RV-12 Autopilot Bracket Install Kit dated September 29, 2009 which has the packing list for all the components of the autopilot instillation ? the Section 39 instructions were in a bag labeled DOC 12 AP Servo Kit.

Unfortunately, I had to drill out the one rivet on the nutplate because it was installed prior to installing the auto pilot doubler (guess I did not read ahead enough).

If you install the AP doubler now, just make sure you don?t forget to place the Philips screw into the hole next to the nutplate before you install the nutplate on the rib. The nutplate rivet interferes with the head of the screw preventing the screw from going in the hole if the nutplate is already riveted in place.

Happy building,

Bob,

...Unfortunately, I had to drill out the one rivet on the nutplate because it was installed prior to installing the auto pilot doubler (guess I did not read ahead enough).

If you install the AP doubler now, just make sure you don?t forget to place the Philips screw into the hole next to the nutplate before you install the nutplate on the rib. The nutplate rivet interferes with the head of the screw preventing the screw from going in the hole if the nutplate is already riveted in place.

Happy building,

That's why I was wondering about installing the doubler now. It didn't make sense to me to drill out something (I do enough of that already :eek: ) when I could just change the order of things.

Thanks,

Bob

I picked up my Fuselage kit in Dec. It included the Autopilot Install Kit as listed on page 6 of the inventory sheet. That kit included F-1269 and a couple of other brackets. Section 21 instructions on page 21-05 refer you back to Section 39 for the install of F-1269 on the right seat rib before it's installed. Then later on page 21-19 you're referred back to Section 21 for the install of the remaining brackets before the install of the F-1207B Baggage Bulkhead.

I hope this helps, Jim

I picked up my Fuselage kit in Dec. It included the Autopilot Install Kit as listed on page 6 of the inventory sheet. That kit included F-1269 and a couple of other brackets. Section 21 instructions on page 21-05 refer you back to Section 39 for the install of F-1269 on the right seat rib before it's installed. Then later on page 21-19 you're referred back to Section 21 for the install of the remaining brackets before the install of the F-1207B Baggage Bulkhead.

I hope this helps, Jim

Yelp, it looks like my kit was before the autopilot kit became standard. I'll be calling Van's in the morning!

Thanks,

Bob