crabandy

Well Known Member
I was just about ready to start mounting the racks for my radios on my RV7 slider, GTR 200 on top, 400W in the middle and a GMC305 on the bottom like this--
301F807D-C18F-4B8E-A5B0-19F8C42F0652_zpstwki14ht.jpg

I did a quick poll on Facebook and all of my corporate/airline pilot friends unanimously voted for the autopilot on top like this--
D13E5D21-1C8E-4BD7-AF97-64EC3345C42A_zpsvtaxzml1.jpg

I thought having the autopilot buttons by the throttle/trim/flaps etc would be handier. Ideas??

Airliners seem to prefer the top but I love it at the bottom since I can use it without moving my right hand far from the engine controls.

FWIW I have mine down low, closer to the throttle and mixture. My reasoning is that the more I have to "fiddle" with something in flight, the higher up on my field of view I want it. Once engaged I don't "fiddle" as much with the autopilot as I do with my Comms. So I put my audio panel/intercom on top, my Com #1 (G430W) right under it, Com #2 (A210) under #1 with my autopilot control head under Com #2. My transponder is a remote module controlled by my EFIS but if I had a separate transponder it would have gone under the autopilot. After over 500hrs of flying with this configuration I feel it works best for me.

But only my 2 cents.

:cool:

Last edited:
Another vote for top here.

But, mine is not in the radio stack, but above the EFISs

SUNP0003%2520%25282%2529.jpg

I suspect that whatever you end up with, it will be just fine is short order, as you get used to it.

Your call

Your call, you'll get used to either. I've flown both and prefer on top. The Human Factors folks did a lot of research and put it on top for a reason.

I vote for top of the stack. My reasoning is if you are going to be flying it in IFR conditions and have to make inputs to the autopilot (and you most likely will) you can use your thumb on top of the panel to stabalize your hand in turbulence while pushing the buttons or visa-versa . . . use you fingers on top of the panel to balance/stabilize while pushing buttons and toggles with you thumb.

I vote for top of the stack. My reasoning is if you are going to be flying it in IFR conditions and have to make inputs to the autopilot (and you most likely will) you can use your thumb on top of the panel to stabalize your hand in turbulence while pushing the buttons or visa-versa . . . use you fingers on top of the panel to balance/stabilize while pushing buttons and toggles with you thumb.

That's the same reason I like the autopilot controls on top - easy to stabilize your hand while stabbing at buttons in turbulence.

Mine is on the bottom but I think the top would have been better with the GMC 305. (Mine is a bit offset because the 400W was an upgrade from a panel mount Aera.

If I were you I'd mount the top of that 305 aligned with the top of the G3X. Sweet!

28lq25c.jpg

Wow, overwhelmingly the votes go to top of the stack. Even though my initial thoughts are the opposite I'll concede and place the GMC305 on top. If I can adjust to the 50 year old "shotgun" type panels in most certified birds the top or bottom of the radio stack should be an easy transition!

I've been told the human factors reason for top is to minimize possibility of spatial disorientation/vertigo effect in IMC from slewing head and arms - keep it as straight and level as possible.

I haven't seen this reason for having it at the top yet, so for the record, I think a lot of folks, myself included, tend to use the autopilot a lot to fly the airplane, and having it at the top helps keeps the head up and eyes outside the cockpit, whereas at the bottom, head down, not good.

I have a different reason for putting mine on top: The GMC 305 is not nearly as deep as a radio, so it can sit higher in the panel without hitting the top panel/skin rib on my RV-7A - Slider.

I have a different reason for putting mine on top: The GMC 305 is not nearly as deep as a radio, so it can sit higher in the panel without hitting the top panel/skin rib on my RV-7A - Slider.

Touch?'. Those that haven't traveled there yet don't know this critical point... Which is why my 400w is not mounted higher... Shallow instrument at top the stack works better without butchering the substructure.