justinmg

I heard someone mention that they had a little circuit that put the landing light on when the flap was deployed. I thought this was a pretty good idea, and wondered if anyone had implemented this, or are there any major reasons not to?

I wouldn't do it. Most RVators leave their flaps down full time when on the ground...less chance of kicking the flap on entry/exit, fewer cycles on the motor, etc. If we all had to have our landing lights on whenever our flaps were deployed, they'd be on (and robbing valuable electrons) during engine start, or any time the master was flipped on for that matter. Not a fan of that "automatic" approach.

For that matter, I leave my landing lights wig-wagging almost 100% of the time in flight. Regardless of flaps. Besides, do you really want to WAIT until you're already IN the pattern to have those lights on or flashing? I want to be recognized BEFORE I enter the pattern.

Sometimes while wingman in formation I need to leave my lights OFF. I wouldn't want some automation kicking in. I don't mind the control...I like the control.

It's your airplane, do it however you see fit...but I wouldn't want the complexity or the "policy" on my airplane.

Last edited:
dan said:
I wouldn't do it. Most RVators leave their flaps down full time when on the ground...less chance of kicking the flap on entry/exit, fewer cycles on the motor, etc. If we all had to have our landing lights on whenever our flaps were deployed, they'd be on (and robbing valuable electrons) during engine start, or any time the master was flipped on for that matter. Not a fan of that "automatic" approach.

For that matter, I leave my landing lights wig-wagging almost 100% of the time in flight. Regardless of flaps. Besides, do you really want to WAIT until you're already IN the pattern to have those lights on or flashing? I want to be recognized BEFORE I enter the pattern.

Sometimes while wingman in formation I need to leave my lights OFF. I wouldn't want some automation kicking in. I don't mind the control...I like the control.

It's your airplane, do it however you see fit...but I wouldn't want the complexity or the "policy" on my airplane.

Dan, you are right on. The simplest and most effective anti-collision device for day VFR is to use your landing light(s). Wig-wag is even better. RV's are small and hard to see. We've even had a couple of close calls with spam cans while we were in formation with 4 RV's.

When you are on a direct collision course from head on, these lights are bright and give you the precious seconds you need to avoid a collision.

...so in conclusion... why make them automatic on flap deployment? Just use them all the time.

Vern

vlittle said:
<SNIP>

...so in conclusion... why make them automatic on flap deployment? Just use them all the time.

Vern

Is the life pretty good on the wing-mounted landing lights? do you leave halogens on all the time or just HIDs?

Why use lights all the time?

Where I fly it does not make sense. I do use them when about 10 miles out from landing. Perhaps flying low in the east it makes sense but at 12,500' it does not.

Ron Lee said:
Where I fly it does not make sense. I do use them when about 10 miles out from landing. Perhaps flying low in the east it makes sense but at 12,500' it does not.
Truth be told, when I use flight following and I'm cruising up high, my landing lights are typically off. When ATC calls out traffic, or calls me out as traffic, on go the wig-wags until at least one of us calls out "traffic in sight."

On my descent I wig-wag until I clear the runway.

When flying in the LA basin or SF Bay Area (or any other congested area) at just about any altitude, I'm wig-wagging.

Wig-wag landing lights

I have not done a scientific study on these but my impression is that because they do vary in intensity that they are easier to see. At least from the ground.

JHines said:
Is the life pretty good on the wing-mounted landing lights? do you leave halogens on all the time or just HIDs?

I have the halogen wing-tip lights. I use a wig-wag flasher and inrush current limiters to increase bulb life. I'm at 150 hours so far, and no bulb failures. That's about 10 times longer than the Cessna spec'd bulbs from my old 172.

V

Turn 'em on

dan said:
Truth be told, when I use flight following and I'm cruising up high, my landing lights are typically off. When ATC calls out traffic, or calls me out as traffic, on go the wig-wags until at least one of us calls out "traffic in sight."

On my descent I wig-wag until I clear the runway.

When flying in the LA basin or SF Bay Area (or any other congested area) at just about any altitude, I'm wig-wagging.

Me too. The rule at my airline was "all exterior lights on below 10,000 feet." I always took this literally, landing lights, logo lights, ice lights, beacons, strobes, and taxi light if the gear was down. Cheap insurance.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Interesting,
I assumed they all had very short lives like the cessna bulbs, so use sparingly!

Always on from now on......