MXpilot1

I have about 100 hours in my -6 now and I find it is a bit of work to fly in IMC for any amount of time due the light control effort required. I am considering an auto pilot. Any recommendations?

MXpilot1 said:
I have about 100 hours in my -6 now and I find it is a bit of work to fly in IMC for any amount of time due the light control effort required. I am considering an auto pilot. Any recommendations?

I highly recommend the Tru-Trak autopilot. They have both single and two axis styles. They can be coupled to your GPS/VOR/ILS. You won't find an autopilot that works better and the prices are right.

Norman

It's all about opinion...

I highly recommend the Trio autopilots. They have both single and two axis styles. They can be coupled to your GPS/VOR/ILS. You won't find an autopilot that works better, has more features and the prices are right.

*THAT* was funny <g>.

I've flown under the guidance of both Trio and TruTrak. They both got me within ten feet of where I intended to go with minimal effort.

They do make a difference!

b,d

Ford or Chevy

I went the Trutrak. The main reason was that is what others in my area are using. I think it is important to use what you can get help and guidance with. I am still pulling arrows from my chest from the Crossflow "Experience," so everything from then on became the use of only tried and tru (trak) products!!! :rolleyes:

Both units have similar features. Trutrak probably has more units in the field. You won't go wrong with either one, but do your research to establish your needs, evaluate features and purchase the one that fits!!

The auto pilot has been the best feature I put in mine. Second is the Garmin 330S transponder with traffic interface to the Garmin 430.

turbulence issues?

I have been thinking of AP for my 8. I will admit I lean more towards Trio because of the prices when you look at what they have in the "pipeline". I recently talked with an RVer and we discussed briefly choice of autopilots. He stated he went with TruTrak because he knew several people with Trio and that they didn't perform well in turbulence. I had never heard this about either TruTrak or Trio before, I had heard it was an issue with others. Anyone with experience with both care to comment?

Thanks in advance,

flying an autopilot in turbulence

I have been thinking of AP for my 8. I will admit I lean more towards Trio because of the prices when you look at what they have in the "pipeline". I recently talked with an RVer and we discussed briefly choice of autopilots. He stated he went with TruTrak because he knew several people with Trio and that they didn't perform well in turbulence. I had never heard this about either TruTrak or Trio before, I had heard it was an issue with others. Anyone with experience with both care to comment?

My wing-leveler autopilot background is limited to the Navaid and EZ-Pilot. The EZ-Pilot is definitely superior to the Navaid in turbulence but I have never directly compared it to a Tru-Trak.

The limiting factor with the new, solid-state autopilots in turbulence in my RV-6 is the old-style small vertical stab and its well-documented tail-waggin'. In spite of the EZ-Pilot's fine turbulence performance, even with the pilot's feet on the rudder pedals there is sufficient lack of yaw damping in the small-tailed RV's to make using the wing-leveler in anything approaching moderate turbulence uncomfortable, especially for a passenger. When it gets that bumpy, a steady hand on the stick will fly the plane smoother than an electronic pilot.

The RV-8 should be better damped in yaw and will probably yield a smoother ride in turbulence. The EZ-Pilot responds to upsets in a quick and positive manner and I've found it holds course precisely even if I'm not particularly enjoying the ride. The TruTrak may do the same but I haven't flown it.

You are correct, the Trio guys have some neat stuff in the pipeline. :)

I can't (and won't) comment on the Trio, because I have no experience with it! I can only tell you that I am very happy with the Tru-Trak Pictorial Pilot and AlTrak in my -8. They handle turbulence very well, and give a comfotable ride. When I was shopping, I looked at all the usual suspects, and think that any of the top 3 would do a good job. I went with the Tru-Trak for two reasons:

1) The folks that build my EFIS (GRT) have a strong relationship with TruTrak, and have designed their interfaces to work well with them.

2) I liked the Pictorial Pilot's display, which essentially gives me a turn coordinator- should I want to be masochistic and hand-fly partial panel if the big EFIS goes belly up. (But why would I do that when I could just engage the autopilot...?)

Those decisions tipped the scales for me, but I think everyone will have a little differnt perspective.

Paul