nauga

Well Known Member
I'd like to run both GPS496 XM and an MP3 player (or equivalent) into my headsets along with Dynon mono audio outputs and a Microair VHF+intercom. Until I thought of the MP3 player I had settled on Bob Nuckolls' audio isol. amp into a single-stereo-in intercom head, but that single-stereo-in would be taken up by the XM from the GPS496. Is there a simple (read: cheap) 2-stereo-input intercom out there anywhere so that I can add the MP3 player?

Note: I have neither the panel space nor the desire to fit an audio panel in my RV-4.

Nauga
with one on each side of his head

mixit2

I have been wrestling with the same issues and have decided to have a switch on my layout for the stereo input to my PM3000. I did however come across a product on the web called mixit that was designed for motorcycles that had multiple stereo and mono inputs and ran off 12v and battery, maybe this would work for you (not super cheap if I remember correctly)

The other solution that I got from a stereo designer was to buy a stereo speaker balancer (You can find them on the net) and use that for the two inputs. It will let you adjust both items just in case one is louder than the other.

The PS Engineering PS-3000 has a version that is a four place stereo intercom that also accepts two additional mono inputs.

The 496 has two audio outputs, one for XM, the other for alerts. The alert audio is carried on the power / interface cable. The XM music is a seperate connector on the back of the unit. Are you intending to use the alert audio?

With the PS-3000, the Dynon audio could be wired to one mono input and the 496 alert to the other.

The easiest, and probably cleanest, music installation would be to install a 3.5mm music jack in the panel and then use a patch cable for whatever music device you are listening to. If you intend to install the MP3 player, then a 3PDT switch could be used to select the music source.

If you are not using a stereo intercom, then you will need to properly tie the L-R audio into a mono input.