Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
For those guys with a 430W who fly IMC in their RV's.... Is an audio panel with a marker beacon really needed if you have a Garmin 430W? I think the 430 will show the marker on the display.

Sid, you are correct in that it is there on the 430W. So is the audio still needed? I think it is a matter of personal preference. I like having it, it is there, so I enable the audio. I do like having it at the middle marker as a reminder of minimums, as they are usually pretty close.

Vic

I rarely if ever disagree with Vic (on general principles - we have to stick together!), so I'll just offer an alternative opinion...I didn't install a Marker Beacon receiver of any kind in the Valkyrie, and haven't missed it. We have it in the audio panel of Louise's -6 because she doesn't have an IFR GPS, so it is really necessary, but with three moving maps showing the approach, and vertical guidance on the EFIS, I really haven't had the need for the MB noise. Still use it in other airplanes if they are equipped.

Paul

I asked this question a few months ago over at the AOPA forum when I was reseraching the PSE PMA5000 audio panel which does not have a MB and the consensus was don't bother with a MB. Basically unless you're shooting Cat II/III ILS's or need an OM for the FAF on a LOC approach when your GS is out (and a GPS can sub for that), you don't need a MB receiver any more. YMMV....

My marker antenna acts as an under the fuselage dorsal fin. Kind of like what you see on Lear Jets. Other biz jets are getting them too! Maybe it will help with the infamous RV6 dutch roll that I've heard about. Besides, I like the colored lights! Other than that, since I fly VFR, I don't have the slightest idea of why I installed it... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A/8000B audio panel