prkaye

Well Known Member
Someone mentioned that the attrition rate in building RVs is very high. Does anybody have any sense of how high? 50%? 80% ??

I can't imagine spending all that money on tools and sub-kits and the quitting... a lot of money down the tubes!!

Depends how you look at it

Actually the FINISHING rate for RV's is very high-----------compared to other homebuilts.

That said, the "attrition" rate is still up there, but you must look at it not as a percent of kits sold, but as a percent of kits finished versus the industry as a whole.

Statistics------------wonderful things.

Mike

I think it was at OSH last year that Van said that over 14,000 tail kits of all flavors had been sold. Probably lots more now. With that thought in mind, the completion rate is probably less than 33%. I think that number will rise in the next couple of years because the newer stuff being match drilled and the 10.

RV7Guy said:
I think it was at OSH last year that Van said that over 14,000 tail kits of all flavors had been sold. Probably lots more now. With that thought in mind, the completion rate is probably less than 33%. I think that number will rise in the next couple of years because the newer stuff being match drilled and the 10.

Thats like 20 MILLION dollars worth of tail! :eek:

Better than that

RV7Guy said:
The completion rate will be much higher than 33% because of the lag between tail kits sold and completed airplanes. Some take 10-15 years to complete the airplane.

Don't become another statistic

If one does not want to become a statistic just think of the "building" as a hobby in and of itself that is totally seperate from the hobby of "flying". If one can work on the mind to the point of convincing it that the goal is attainable and that the time it takes to reach the goal is just what it is, then finishing the airplane will happen someday. This is not an endeavor that lends itself towards a "want it yesterday" mentality that our society tends to be trapped in.

Enjoy the ride while you are on it! You may find it as enjoyable as the destination. :D

ericwolf said:
The completion rate will be much higher than 33% because of the lag between tail kits sold and completed airplanes. Some take 10-15 years to complete the airplane.

and I'd suspect that many tails are sold from the original builder to a second or third.. having said that... I've not yet begun.. but [or would that be butt...] can empatically state..

that.. so far in my 52 years of life.. have never paid a single dollar for.. any tail... :$

[hoping this isn't too racy for the forum]....

John

godspeed said:
Its called married :) then divorced!, that tail cost an arm and a leg..

You know it Danny. I worked on that one for twenty years and there was no way that was ever going to fly . :eek: I dove right in to this project and bought the engine first then the whole kit . Like they say "in for a penny in for a pound" I think I'll finish though ,I've built five ultralights to date , and I think the key to this whole thing is seeing the end before you start. Kind of like driving across the nation ,you know where your going and if you put enough hours in you will eventually get there one mile at a time.

RV 8 fuselage

Last edited:
Deuskid said:
and I'd suspect that many tails are sold from the original builder to a second or third.. having said that... I've not yet begun.. but [or would that be butt...] can empatically state..

that.. so far in my 52 years of life.. have never paid a single dollar for.. any tail... :$

[hoping this isn't too racy for the forum]....

John
Oh you pay allright-boy howdy do you pay! It's just spread over a loooong time.