jimbower

Well Known Member
To our international friends: What unit of measure do you use when wiring your RVs? I write manuals to support my company's products that are used worldwide. I was recently made aware of a need to convert AWG to metric units. For example, 18 gauge wire is 1.02 mm in diameter. Thanks for your help.

Jim Bower
RV-6A super slow build
St. Louis, MO

Mil Spec

To our international friends: What unit of measure do you use when wiring your RVs? I write manuals to support my company's products that are used worldwide. I was recently made aware of a need to convert AWG to metric units. For example, 18 gauge wire is 1.02 mm in diameter. Thanks for your help.

Jim Bower
RV-6A super slow build
St. Louis, MO

Jim... if it's for an aircraft don't they use Mil-Spec wire in AWG sizes - the same MIL-W-22759/16 wire we use?

Some metric size translations here....

http://www.jchwire.com/jchwire/catalog/HookUp34.htm

hi jim,

because we wanted tefzel insulation and not even get into the hassle of converting all the sizes and sourcing the same product locally, i simply imported most of the wires from the U.S. ;-)
you kind of end up doing that anyway for most of the stuff, so i think it wasn't that much of a deal...
also, wires with these specs are a "specialty" item over here, so you end up paying easily the same amount as for the product from the states plus shipping plus taxes. this varies according to the exchange rate however, right now it's awesome :)

now to the actual question:
wire size units in use over here is
mm?
(plus outside diameter for planning)

kind regards,
bernie

mm2 used

As with other units in europe its all metric which means that wire are messured in milimeters square. I had major trouble just getting tools in inches because its just not easily available. In relation to the RVs and much of aerospace industry in general alot of the hardware is produced in US. So instead of converting all the time I just learned it the american way, and in generel its just as easy, just different numbers.

Regards
Christian Thygesen
Denmark
RV-8 QB - status: allmost ready for paint.

All using AWG

Hello, I was given a lot of wires from people working in the french aeronautical industry, and they were not surprised that I needed them in AWG gauge.

For more informations you can have a look at the page of Nexans, french cable manufacturer.
At the bottom of this page : http://www.nexans.fr/eservice/France-fr_FR/navigate_126011/A_ronautique.html there are three PDFs with some informations (Airbus and Eurocopter wires are AWG gauge).
On page 8 in the third PDF you'll find a chart with the equivalent cross sections between AWG and mm2 (square millimeters)
In the first PDF you'll also find some informations about coaxial cables, the dimension used for this cables is diameter in mm (millimeter).
Best regards