chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
A real landmark day to day - horizontal and vertical stabilizers attached to the fuselage. MUCH easier than I had anticipated, mainly due to having the use of a laser level, which made leveling the fuselage and the subsequent checking of installation really easy.:):):)

Got a few queries tho.

1. The F-812B-1 angle/control stop - it has 3 #30 holes in the vertical surface and5 #30 holes in the horizontal surface - so how many bolts should I put in - the drawings look like it's two in each surface??

2. We marked out and drilled the three holes through the vertical stab rear spar/F-812-1 bulkhead and WD-409 tail spring mount ( a real pain - eventually we used the laser again and made a small template to mark out the hole locations). Final drilled #12, as the instructions specified - and then realized that the drawings call for AN4 bolts - which clearly aren't going to fit! Everything else on the tail assembly is AN3 and the drawing for the RV8A shows 4 AN3 bolts in this location - so do we drill some more or use the AN3 bolts??:confused:

3. We got the three rudder hinge points aligned pretty easily but the trailing edge of the VS is not absolutely vertical - it is slightly raked aft by about 3/8 inch. The instructions don't seem to specify that it should be vertical - is this a problem?

If I can get my camera to work I'll put some pictures up.

Many thanks for help/advice.

Chris

RV-8 QB
Wings and empennage complete
Working on fuselage.

1.) Don't know

2.) Is it an edge distance problem on the top two? I would ask Vans.

3.) Hinges need to be aligned. Did you drop a string/plumb bob through the hinge brkt. holes? Did you mount the rudder to verify no binding. If I remember correctly, mine wasn't perfect but it was real close and the rudder was smooth as silk.