RVadmirer

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the trick for attaching the gripper side of velcro to the fuselage? I have new upholstery and the grippee side is sewn to the cushions. But every glue/epoxy/micro I've tried on the gripper treats it like mold release and it can be peeled off quite easily. Have roughed up the surface of the velcro with a grinding wheel to give it some grip with no luck so far...... :confused:
Thanks!

The velcro that came with my interior was self-adhesive with a peel off layer that had to be removed before you could apply it.

In my experience the best adhesion is achieved using the adhesive velcro but spraying the place you want to attach it first with spray adhesive. I have found that if you only use the adhesive on the velcro it releases over time.

In the aircraft interiors industry they often put a pop rivet at either end of the velcro strip attached to the structure to stop it peeling over time. Check out your seat cushion/floatation device attachment the next time you take a scheduled flight - but don't let the air marshall catch you.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring etc

In the space industry, self-stick velcro is never used. It will not hold, especially with repeated mate/demate cycles and heat.

When velcro needs to stay in place on a solid surface, we use a 2 part epoxy and glue down the velcro. Clean and scuff the surface before gluing.

Karl

Thanks all for the advice!

I found some self stick with this:

SPECTRUM? (0172)
This is an acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive for high temperature performance.

It is supposed to be good to 225 degrees. I've had the suggested experience with normal self stick and it does move around and let go in heat and extra cycles/use. My application will be minimal use but I still have the heat issue under a canopy ion the sun.
I tried several combinations of epoxy on a scuffed up surface and so far all have failed. I tried a few more today and will see some results tomorrow. The rivet idea would be perfect on the ends but unfortunately I'm not on a rivetable surface.....:eek:

3m Super WX Strip Adhesive

Used as directed, this stuff is amazing. I have used it to attach velcro to my rollbar as the front hook up for the Kroger sunshade.

Available at car part stores.