PeteP

Well Known Member
I got a set of the wood grips from Vans that I really like. Question is... what is the best way to attach the grip to the stick? I consider a flush head machine screw in the lower aft side of the grip but I am not keen on having a sharp pointed screw inside the stick where the PTT and CWS wires are. Has anyone tried using silicone adhesive to hold the grip in place? Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi Pete-
I also used the same wood grips. I just wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the stick until the grip could just barely be rotated onto the stick. Friction is all that has been necessary in my experience.
Hope this helps.

My plan is to put a small bolt through one side and out the other. Flush head in a countersunk hole and nut inset into the other side as much as feasible.

I used the plain foam covered handles.. I attached the plastic base for the foam with set screws. Inserted into a drilled and tapped hole in the stick tubing. You could do the same with a countersunk flat head machine screw.

Wood grips

I placed a very small bead of silicone inside the wood grip at the very top then pushed it on until the top of the metal handle was seated to the wood with the silicone sealing the location. This way, I can remove the wood grip in the future if necessary but will not have an issue of having it twist or come off. Zero interferance with the wires this way.

Pat Garboden
RV-9A
N942PT
'13 dues paid