• Fairing removable, attached with screws

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Did no use rudder fairing

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I found one write up under tips on how Randy made the fairing removable. I want to know if most just rivet the fairing on, knowing that if the rudder cables ever need to be replace the fairing will have to be drilled out. So chime in did you rivet your fairing permanently or did you make it removable. Picture would be nice, specifically I am building an RV-8A QB.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Might I suggest that you pop rivet these on. All of the time that you spend making things just a better with dubious returns will really add up. It doesnt seem like much now, but a year or two from now, when you are really itching to get flying, you will really wish you had those hours back. Build on!!

008 Bonded...Just Bonded.

Picture would be nice,....
As I did with the NACA vents, I found that simply prosealing the rudder cables fairings into place was not only a quick and easy task to accomplish, but the bonding process renders the surface of the fairing slightly slicker in appearance than it would if attached with screws or rivets. The highly paintable proseal squeeze-out can be left in place or quite easily removed using a plastic scraper if one chooses to do so.

9fxsvn.jpg

Will be nice with paint

Rick,

I think you have the easiest idea out there, and you are correct that will blind in and look nice with paint. So do you figure you could remove that if need be in the future? You mention the scraper, but do you use any kind of solvent to work it lose like, MEK?

Cheers

If in the unlikely event you ever have to replace your rudder cable/s, it is a feasable option to have the new cable swaged in situ therefore not requiring you to remove the fairing in the first place.

Oh and I flush riveted with AN426 rivets and good results.

Happy building,

Greg

Bonding is good

In the composite sailplane world, most fairings like this are bonded on with epoxy. Never know when one might need to be removed. Quick to put on, tidy looks, and can be removed if necessary. I don't know if the 'removed if necessary' holds true with the proseal, but they sure are not going to fall off on their own! Rick's look great. I'm doing the same.

As I did with the NACA vents, I found that simply prosealing the rudder cables fairings into place was not only a quick and easy task to accomplish, but the bonding process renders the surface of the fairing slightly slicker in appearance than it would if attached with screws or rivets. The highly paintable proseal squeeze-out can be left in place or quite easily removed using a plastic scraper if one chooses to do so.

9fxsvn.jpg

Rick,

I think you have the easiest idea out there, and you are correct that will blind in and look nice with paint. So do you figure you could remove that if need be in the future? You mention the scraper, but do you use any kind of solvent to work it lose like, MEK?

Cheers
Mike,

As you no doubt have observed with the routine construction practices of the combat jets you have flown, a major benefit of using proseal is that there is no chance moisture can ever migrate and lodge between the skin and the fairing thus potentially offering fertile ground for corrosion to eventually gain a foothold.

I do not anticipate an unlikely future need to remove a fairing but if it just had to be removed for some reason, it will come off relatively easy since there is not a whole lot of bonding surface area to deal with. In addition, since mine are to be polished and the fairings are so cheap an accessory item, I would not hesitate to "trash" one during the removal process if I had to. As for removing any excess proseal squeeze-out from around the perimeter of the fairing such as shown in my photo, although I personally kind of like the look you would find that a chisel sharpened plastic scraper would make very short work of that minor task. Any proseal residue that may remain will be wiped away cleanly using MEK and my rag of choce...cheesecloth.

Stuck ours on with epoxy.................................

Why do I now think that after seeing the photos here, that the screw holds an Adel clamp which holds the nylon in place ?

Guess what I forgot to install ........................ :mad: