cnpeters

Well Known Member
What options have been successful in attaching a fuselage rotisserie to the firewall? I have read threads with pros and cons of using 1/4" bolts in the existing engine mount pilot holes, then reaming them out to final size later when hanging the engine. For those who used rotisseries, what worked?
Thanks

FWIW, I used 2x4's with a spacer bolted to the firewall through the engine mount holes (drilled out to 1/4") on my -6A. There was absolutely no problem final drilling the engine mount to the existing 1/4" holes on the 6A.

I now have the 7-A fuselage mounted the same way. I HOPE there is no problem drilling in the engine mount when I get to that point. I used the existing holes in the firewall for a guide to drill the 1/4" holes.

The 6 was easier to attach at the tail. I had already installed the tiedown recepticle on the -7A so I had to manuver around that. But now that it is on, it seems to be working great.

360* of rotation and it really makes it easier for me to get to the stuff inside. (I don't seem to bend and fold as well as I used too!) ;)

YMMV

Worked For Me

What options have been successful in attaching a fuselage rotisserie to the firewall? I have read threads with pros and cons of using 1/4" bolts in the existing engine mount pilot holes, then reaming them out to final size later when hanging the engine. For those who used rotisseries, what worked?
Thanks
I used four long 3/16" bolts centered through four wooden bushings (made from birch dowel stock) snug fit inside the four rotisserie arms of a modified J.C. Whitney engine stand/Home Depot angle iron attaching to the firewall. The arrangement worked just fine and it goes without saying do not attempt to sit inside the airframe while it is attached to the rotisserie, but then there is no reason to even try.

Check twice, drill once

I now have the 7-A fuselage mounted the same way. I HOPE there is no problem drilling in the engine mount when I get to that point. I used the existing holes in the firewall for a guide to drill the 1/4" holes.
YMMV

Hi Wes,

I recently drilled the engine mount to the firewall. The pre-punched holes did not exactly line up:

aan.jpg

More details here.

Take care,

Last edited:
David,
Thanks for the heads up and the pictures. Well, I guess that is one more thing to ponder until I get there. I hope I am close enough for it to work. It looks like you were able to final drill without elongating the final hole. Did it all work out for ya?

Mine looks a lot like Ricks. You can find it here. I used SS hardware bolts the size of the existing hole (forget the size right now, 1/4" rings a bell). SS should be safe as the firewall and the bracketts behid it are both steel/powdercoat and therefore no corrosion issues. I stacked about 5 washers between the steel arms and the firewall for separation.

Last edited:
David,
Thanks for the heads up and the pictures. Well, I guess that is one more thing to ponder until I get there. I hope I am close enough for it to work. It looks like you were able to final drill without elongating the final hole. Did it all work out for ya?

Hi Wes,

In a short answer: Yes, it all worked out great. Also, Sears had the Drill Doctor on sale so I had that on hand to make sure that my larger bits were good and sharp before proceeding. IMHO, it's the slow and easy (and a lot of cutting fluid) that is important for these kinds of things.

Take care and good luck,

I used four long 3/16" bolts centered through four wooden bushings (made from birch dowel stock) snug fit inside the four rotisserie arms of a modified J.C. Whitney engine stand/Home Depot angle iron attaching to the firewall.

Big threaded rod couplers (Home Depot) also work well for standing off the rotisserie arms from the firewall. Put a big washer between the coupler and the firewall (grind as necessary). I also used unistrut to make the rotisserie arms (HD also). Worked great.

Simple for a Side by Side.....

On the 7, which has a firewall recess that is recommended to be installed late as possible, you can use the pattern of rivet holes to attach a pivot.

Materials needed are:
4 short pieces of angle, long enough to cover the 4 sides of the recess.
A short piece of 2x lumber large enough to fill the hole and attach to the angles.
A galvanized base flange with 3/4 NPT hole (this thing has one NPT pipe hole and 4 bolt holes on the perimeter.)
A short piece of 3/4 NPT pipe.

Use cleco's in all the fiewall recess holes and this is plenty strong enough to suspend the front of the fuselage. The system above, simply provides a pivot bar that can be supported in any method you choose.
This system does not put the pivot on the CG line, but I have found this not to be a problem.

Currently, I have my pivot bar sitting on a board in the upper rungs of a sturdy A-frame ladder.

Here's a pic of the firewall BBQ spit.
187953627048b21b8d37bba.jpg

Last edited:
And the aft end?

How are you guys supporting the aft end? So far I've only seen pictures of the firewall.

Thanks,

How are you guys supporting the aft end? ......
If you look closely at the aft end of the airframe (in the picture I previously posted), you will see that the tail cone rests upon a padded sawhorse. At first I thought I needed help to rotate and lock the fuselage into any given position but over time found that the assembly easily rotated by my effort alone. While rotating, I just had to make sure I did not risk the aft end of the fuselage accidentally walking off the end of the sawhorse before recentering it!

Got it...

If you look closely at the aft end of the airframe (in the picture I previously posted), you will see that the tail cone rests upon a padded sawhorse. At first I thought I needed help to rotate and lock the fuselage into any given position but over time found that the assembly easily rotated by my effort alone. While rotating, I just had to make sure I did not risk the aft end of the fuselage accidentally walking off the end of the sawhorse before recentering it!

Hi Rick,
Got it, thanks.

Seems like I've seen pics of the tail wheel landing gear "tube" used as the aft point of rotation on the taildraggers.

If you are going to pre-drill the firewall for a rotisserie, I suggest you buy the engine mount early and use it to locate the holes.

Drill one hole in the pre-punched hole and then use the engine mount to locate the rest.

Bill,

Have you had time to take some close-up pics of your set-up yet? I would love to see them. Getting close to needing a rotisserie for my 7.