Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to order new Crow safety harnesses for my RV-8 and want a better method for the front seat shoulder harness attachments. I'm sure the group has come up with a better mousetrap and would appreciate descriptions and even better, pictures of the attachment points at the roll bar.

Thanks.

Better? I just wrapped them around the bar, then back through the sliders - I don't think there's much room to do anything more than that....but if there is, I'd like to see pictures too!

Paul

can't find this picture

Can you give a complete URL to the host site for the picture?

I just buckled them to the cross bar, and they tend to slide to the side, spread too far apart, etc. I've been thinking about making some kind of soft loop that would just keep the two buckles at the right spacing. Would love other ideas.

Alright! Finally something Paul has not perfected!!!! I suspect DanH will have an elegant solution though.

I thought about something to keep them at the right spacing like scsmith mentioned but never came up with an acceptable idea. When I am preparing to get into the cockpit I straighten out and get all straps in position so at least I can find them but it's always a bit of a contortion to get the shoulder straps sitting right.

Part of what troubles me is the straps go up over my shoulders not just up a little and over. Guidelines on the Crow website suggest a 10 degree angle up and over the shoulders.

My seat back also has openings that appear to be for the seat belts to go through. Does anyone use those openings or do they just have the seat belts go around the seat back?

Keeping it Centred

I was concerned about a shoulder slipping out in unusual attitudes (or tip overs) and have noted some a/c keep their harnesses centred to restrict movement.
Just a couple of cushion clamps and a short piece of angle between the two. I then ran both belts through a single hold tight and routed it over the angle.

C-FGWW..almost ready for inspection

I am sorry..I've failed photo upload..let's try again

RV8ShoulderHarness.jpg

1-1-1.jpg

Last edited: