srv

Need advice on how to attach a carbon fiber plenum to baffling. I can't find the exact posting(s) that had pictures of fiberglass/carbon plenums attachment.

Using formed angle iron to provide a mount point on the standard baffling. But can you rivet carbon fiber to the angle iron (permanently attach it to the plenum), or what other connector should be used between the angle iron and carbon fiber if the angle iron is riveted to the baffling?

Should there be a rubber gasket or other sealing material between the carbon fiber and angle iron?

Thanks!

Need advice on how to attach a carbon fiber plenum to baffling. I can't find the exact posting(s) that had pictures of fiberglass/carbon plenums attachment.

Using formed angle iron to provide a mount point on the standard baffling. But can you rivet carbon fiber to the angle iron (permanently attach it to the plenum), or what other connector should be used between the angle iron and carbon fiber if the angle iron is riveted to the baffling?

Should there be a rubber gasket or other sealing material between the carbon fiber and angle iron?

Thanks!

Over the long run bare carbon fiber in contact with aluminum will cause galvanic corrosion of the aluminum if any moisture gets into the joint. It's common practice to electrically isolate the carbon from the aluminum with a layer of fiberglass or some other insulating material.

Angle and Screws with washers

I have a fiberglass plenum. I put angle on the top edge of the baffles with nutplates and screw the top down with screws. I started with a lot a screws and took half them out. You could probably use fewer due to the stiffness of the carbon.
I have heard about the need to isolate carbon from aluminum. I would recommend the above poster's suggestion.

Seb Trost
RV-7A
Cameron Park, CA (O61)

You may try contacting Bob Brown, http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=2614

I think he has a carbon plenum. I purchased one from Henry Bartle(?) and picked it up while I was in Independence OR . Here's a couple of pics of an install some guys were doing while I wondered around.

At noon they were fiddling with the inlet ramps.

RV7059.jpg

an hour or two later here is the finished look.
RV7084.jpg

Great bunch of guys out there in Independence Airpark