mandatory retirement age

had a friend over looking at my 7a (in progress) on sunday afternoon. he flies for continental, and is approaching 58. he expressed the hope that they would raise the age. me too, for his sake, as well as others.

john

johnp said:
had a friend over looking at my 7a (in progress) on sunday afternoon. he flies for continental, and is approaching 58. he expressed the hope that they would raise the age. me too, for his sake, as well as others.

john

Hope he wasn't the same 58 year old Continetal pilot that had a heart attack at work last week!

I personally look forward to my retirement from the cockpit so I can build fulltime! RV-15 maybe!

It is amazing how they all love to fly so much ( only in the left seat). If so have them get a job in the back of the cabin and look out the window. Then the other younger pilots can move up..60 years is plenty...RB

Why !!!!

These people started there flying careers 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago knowing that they had to retire at 60. I started my career knowing I had to be ready to retire at 60 and am planning accordingly. I am also planning on the airlines needing to do more hiring because these people are leaving. If they extend it to 65 then it could and will push my advancement back 5 years.. Most will understand why the unions are pushing this because the senior guys are the higher paid, more money in the unions pockets.. I guess if I was looking at 60 I might have a different point of view...
Cwoodyfly2001

Also adds a little additional hope to us potential career changers who think about giving the pro flying gig a shot...

Age 60

Low Pass said:
Also adds a little additional hope to us potential career changers who think about giving the pro flying gig a shot...

Go for it Bryan, it's a great job! I'll give you my seat in 8 years!

Yukon said:
Go for it Bryan, it's a great job! I'll give you my seat in 8 years!
Tempting. I got close enough to taste it with a Continental Express interview the first week of Sept, 2001. But now, hearing that corporate is hiring like crazy, CAL hiring 80 a month (and making money), retirement maybe at 65..... The old dream may still be alive.

Turbine PIC

I've done both, but the commuters are the way to go if you want to build time. Corporate is more fun, but usually 20-40 hrs per month. Majors want to see lot's of Turbine PIC.

I know they always say this, but there should be lots of hiring coming with all the retirements. Keep trying, it's worth the effort!

cwoodyfly2001 said:
These people started there flying careers 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago knowing that they had to retire at 60. I started my career knowing I had to be ready to retire at 60 and am planning accordingly.
My wife's cousin is one of those. He knew he'd have to retire at 60, so he diligently managed his company-provided pension. Said pension has been cut, cut, and cut again to the point of now being far, far less than what he had planned on, counted on, and was promised he would have. Extending his career by five more years was not in his plan, but at this point he has little choice should the option become available to him. My point being, there are going to be winners and losers any time the gov't capriciously creates and re-creates meddlesome rules. You may be the loser this time around (although it sounds like you have enough time left to recover), but even the winners in this one aren't that much better off, all things considered.