kjowen

Well Known Member
Guys, I am looking to purchase a flying RV while I build my 14 over the next two years (or so,,,,)

Once the -14 is completed I will probably sell the other RV.

I have flown in a -7 and a -6 but have never even sit in a -8 (my bad! since i've had a few opportunities if I had only taken it!) and wanted to see if anyone local to my location, Woodstock, would let me come over one weekend and try it on for size (i'm 6'2", 185 lb).

I would also welcome some informed insight into this model. I plan to use it 90% for weekend fun around N. GA solo and some limited trips back and forth to Destin, Fl with my spouse, so there is the tandem seating issue (at least with her) to consider.

I have always heard the -8 was a BLAST for many reasons and wanted to see if I could check it out before making a final decision of which model I would be most happy with (-7 or -8). I am looking for one pretty well equipped as I already am working on one project and since this is my 1st, don't know what I don't know yet!:)

As always, thanks for your outreach to a newbee!

Hi Ken,

If can make you way up to Dahlonega I have 3 8's in my hangar and would be glad to show them They are equipped a bit differently from my ALL glass to six packs with and without 430's. Each is fitted for a different sized pilot so one will probably fit you well.

PM me or call and see if we can set up a time.

512--964**7370

ken, i am building a my RV-7 and bought the RV-4 for the same reason, i flew every single weekend back and forth from atlanta to destin last fall, the 4 has already paid for itself

It sure beats the 5:45 hr drive door to door, doesn't it?

ken, i am building a my RV-7 and bought the RV-4 for the same reason, i flew every single weekend back and forth from atlanta to destin last fall, the 4 has already paid for itself

Amen!

I've rented a 172 several times to go back and forth and 1:55 beats 5:45 any day! When you're in the truck for almost 6 hours each way, you have plenty time to think about how you could be flying over all the traffic, speed traps, farm tractors, etc..... I also enjoy leaving at 1000 ATL time and having lunch on the harbor at 1200 including signing for the rental car (with the time change).

The rental cost for a 172 is a little high at $170ish per hour round trip, so I'm thinking if I can invest in a RV and run 9.0 gal/hr conservatively plus cut the one way time down to 1:30 -- Haven't considered at -4, although a friend suggested I look into it if I can't find a -8 or -7 for the right $. I may also want to stuff my cocker spaniel in with us, so the -4 may be a little small(?).

I've already taken my clubs down to the condo, so they will not need to travel by air!

thanks for the reply!:)
p.s.
I'm glad I'm not out in left field with this... I get some strange looks sometimes!

i rented a car out of montgomery from a guy who rents to air force base cadets, $250/month unlimited mileage, a bar napkin style contract- very simple

Was easy to leave the car at the FBO and just not hassle with a rental everytime, PM me if you want his info, i am going to be looking again to buy a condo down there in the next year or so, renting for 2013 though- what condo are you in?

I'll let you know on the car rental, I may leave my motorcycle in storage....

i rented a car out of montgomery from a guy who rents to air force base cadets, $250/month unlimited mileage, a bar napkin style contract- very simple

Was easy to leave the car at the FBO and just not hassle with a rental everytime, PM me if you want his info, i am going to be looking again to buy a condo down there in the next year or so, renting for 2013 though- what condo are you in?

We purchased in San Destin, Magnolia Bay Town home, 3 / 3.5 with a garage, really enjoying it thus far....