jetdoug

I'm New Here
I'm a frustrated airline pilot looking to make the leap into the RV-7 game. I live intown, Atlanta- Virginia Highlands- and am trying to connect with a builders group big or small that may take pity on me. This forum is as close as I've come to a real RV7, would love to visit anyone that will have me. Still working through the urban factory dilemma- not a lot of workspace options living in the middle of a city. Any suggestion for city dwellers?

Best,
Doug
[email protected]

Hi Doug

Welcome to VAF!
If you are flying to KEWR, I am just across the bay 10 min drive. Also I am about 45 min drive from KJFK or LGA. I am building the 9 but fuse the same as 7. Come.
Regards,

Atlanta is 7 Heaven

Doug,
Atlanta is just eat up with 7 drivers. You can start with Jamie Painter, who has a killer website. His 7A is based at Lawrenceville (LZU). Come to the next EAA 690 pancake breakfast in Lawrenceville (the first Saturday of each month, starting about 8 a.m.) and there will be hot and cold running RV pilots and builders. You can then visit Dave Henderson's project, which is almost flying, in a nearby t- hanger.

I'm a frustrated airline pilot looking to make the leap into the RV-7 game. I live intown, Atlanta- Virginia Highlands- and am trying to connect with a builders group big or small that may take pity on me. This forum is as close as I've come to a real RV7, would love to visit anyone that will have me. Still working through the urban factory dilemma- not a lot of workspace options living in the middle of a city. Any suggestion for city dwellers?

Best,
Doug
[email protected]

EAA 268 meets in Marietta. Quite a few RV builders/flyers there too. The meetings are typically the 3rd thursday evening of the month at the Hansen Aero hangar at McCollum.

www.eaa268.org.

As to the space problem, if you have a single car garage, you can build all the major sub-assemblies there, pull everything outside for a long weekend or two to temporarily hang the wings and tail for control rigging, then pull it back apart to finish the systems in the fuselage. That is largely what I did...

Welcome, Doug......

....and if you're ever near Augusta, let me know and I'll zip up there in my -6A and let you fly left seat for free:) I'm based in Louisville, Ga (2J3). It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive down here.

Regards,

Doug, it's a leap you will forever enjoy! I live on the South side of Atlanta, in a Fly in community called Mallards Landing, GA04. I have a recently-completed RV-7A you are welcome to come and look at and go fly.
You've already landed at the absolute best website for RV's!

Vic

Doug,
I can vouch for Steve, Pierre and Vic, they would not lead you astray. Also, if your over in the Augusta, Ga area. I live at Twin Lakes (S17) just across the Savannah River in SC. We have 7's, 8's, 9's, and 10's over here. Your welcome to stop by anytime. Just give a call to make sure I'm here,, 803-646-3094. You can recognize me by the pix of my Butt hanging over the side of a RV-7 taken by our leader Doug Reeves at the Land of Enchantment fly in in oct.(maybe next year he will get the other end. ):D

All,

Many thanks for the overwhelming response.. looking forward to the local chapter meetings....

Cheers,
Doug

Falcon RV Squadron-Falcon Field, Peachtree City,Ga

We meet weekly in Peachtree City at Mellow Mushroom on Tuesdays at 11:30 on 74 N. Flying activities are generally impromptu. Formation flights seem to be favored. Occasional fly-outs occur. Builder sessions every Tuesday evening 6-10 pm at hangar D30. Every model RV is represented except the 12.
Come join us!

Here's an example of Urban building, apartment style! I live in a 900sq ft apt that I am beginning to build my -3B.

100_1361.jpg

100_1362.jpg

100_1364.jpg

Last edited:
Good one

That's the good one Stephen! Reminds me my old basement studio in New York where I built my empennage. Landlord was not taking my project seriously even after seeing that huge HS.I told him I will be moving out soon because I need to order my wings and if he permits me to move a wall (on my expense) I would increase the rent and would stay for couple three years more. Niet - was his wife's answer. But, when I was moving out they both came and asked what they can do for me to stay... they were ready to move that wall themselves.
:D They are still emailing and asking for status:D

Last edited:
limited shop space can be overcome....

Doug,
Where there's a will, there's a way. Even if it drags construction out a dozen years or more.....

Built my wings in a spare bedroom when I didn't have a garage (ok, it was a "spare" bedroom only after doubling a couple two of the kids up in another bedroom):

LeftWingRibsOnSpar.jpg

Then in same house, needed storage space so the other wing would fit in the bedroom shop:

waldecsm.jpg

And of course the tail section needed a home too while other work was going on:

HSandRudderSm.jpg

Needless to say, I have a very understanding and tolerant wife. That's just one reason why her initial is in the tail number with mine.

So get a ride and then if you want to build, you'll make it work. And if you want to buy, there are some nice RVs on the market.
Good luck!