TruTrakAndrew

Well Known Member
Today I got the wonderful opportunity to visit ATC in Dallas...thanks Alex D!

I must say it was one of the coolest things I have seen. I got to sit with Alex while he was working live traffic. I have seen things from the pilot side my entire life, but seeing it from the ATC side was just awesome!

If at all possible, everyone should go see these amazing folks at work keeping us all safe while we fly.

They don't bite. Pilots are always welcome with prior coordination (security stuff) hardest part is finding the phone number sometimes.

Last edited:
ATC Visit

As a former controller at Regional Approach we loved it when pilots came in for a visit. And Regional Approach was one of the coolest places I was able to work.

Rob Anderson
N994KS RV9A in VA.

Augusta, Ga.

I have taken many students up to the Augusta tower for a visit to see approach control and tower ops. They're great guys and gals, always accomodating.

Best,

Two weeks ago I toured Potomac Consolidated Tracon through a program they have called Operation Raincheck. Very interesting especially considering the DC airspace they control. I encourage all when given a chance to tour a large facility like that. Big kudos to the controllers and supervisors that volunteered on their time off to come in and work the event!

I have taken many students up to the Augusta tower for a visit to see approach control and tower ops. They're great guys and gals, always accomodating.

Best,

who wants to see a boring old up/down, go see a center or a TRACON :D

ok maybe I'm biased.

Years back I was installing a prototype weather system at the old DEN and had some time to kill, so I sat with a approach controller in the TRACON. Very interesting watching them sequence and space for the approaches. I was following along well with the computer-tagged targets when the supervisor announced they would be taking down the computer in five minutes for 20 minutes to replace a memory board. When they shutdown the computer, the target data went stale and they switched to the manual info strips. I was lost after about 20 seconds. The screens only showed the raw returns. THAT, as they say, separated the men from the boys! Very professional crew.

It was also interesting listening to the chatter in the room when the mics weren't keyed.

Second that

Two weeks ago I toured Potomac Consolidated Tracon through a program they have called Operation Raincheck. Very interesting especially considering the DC airspace they control. I encourage all when given a chance to tour a large facility like that. Big kudos to the controllers and supervisors that volunteered on their time off to come in and work the event!

What session you were at Mike? I was Sat 1 pm, just before the storm hit. First time I toured facility like that strongly recommended. They put a lot of planning into that Operation Raincheck event. Will come next time again didn't retain all the info.

I hope finally my cousin brings me to show his working place.