joeboisselle

Well Known Member
So I as an uneducated young man at the age of 24 I decided I needed a rv-4 and proceded to build one. 3 years later, it flew for the first time with only a few minor squawks. A year later, I can't get it out of it's parking spot without something going wrong. Chasing oil leaks, oil temps, oil pressures, fuel leaks, fuel pressures, lean mixtures, rich mixtures, bad fuel, gauges failing, new engine accessories failing, maintenance induced maintenance... I could go on and on. It literally costs me at least $300 just to start the thing. I have a backhoe at my disposal and there's an empty lot 100 feet from where the airplane sits, I'm tempted to dig a big dang hole and bury the thing. I've got alot of time and money invested in it... so I come here looking for an offer, or advise as to what to do with a lemon aircraft.

Time to take a deep breath Joebird. Aviation is not cheap. Trying to do it on the "cheap" is very expensive. Take one "issue" at a time and deal with it in the best way possible, not the cheapest way possible. Does that make sense?

Nothing wrong with being young, trust me on that one. ;) Be proud of your accomplishments, you have done alot more than most 24 year olds. At 24 you are just learning about aviation. Ask for help here, and from the local guys. Figure out the BEST WAY to fix the problems one at a time.

You just want to run the back hoe! :eek:

Last edited:
So I as an uneducated young man at the age of 24 I decided I needed a rv-4 and proceded to build one. 3 years later, it flew for the first time with only a few minor squawks...

Chasing oil leaks, oil temps, oil pressures, fuel leaks, fuel pressures, lean mixtures, rich mixtures, bad fuel, gauges failing, new engine accessories failing, maintenance induced maintenance... I could go on and on.

... so I come here looking for an offer, or advise as to what to do with a lemon aircraft.
I'm thinking three years to build a -4 is outstanding! Heck it took me four to build my -9 and it is an easier kit.

Could it be the oil leaks, temps, and oil pressures are all related? Maybe it is time to pull the accessory case and do a little investigating.

One tip I recently read was to clean the engine and then sprinkle baby powder on it to highlight the leaks.

Junk the steam gauges and put in a Dynon D180. It is simple, light, and reliable. Plus you will be much happier. What the heck, it is only money, your money.

If you don't want to do all that, I'll come on up and just take it off your hands. It will save you the fuel needed to dig a hole and keep the EPA at bay. ;)

Ditto Geico266

I think you're pretty sharp for having chosen a RV-4! Larry gives you some great advice. ....don't think I can improve on that.

Stick with it and Best of Luck to you!

You just want to run the back hoe! :eek:

ok, you got me!:rolleyes:

I know what you mean by cheap being expensive. Funny how that works, and no matter how hard you try to go the economy route, (i.e. Vans steam gauges) an aircraft always demands top dollar to remain simply functional.

ok, you got me!:rolleyes:

I know what you mean by cheap being expensive. Funny how that works, and no matter how hard you try to go the economy route, (i.e. Vans steam gauges) an aircraft always demands top dollar to remain simply functional.

I see it all the time. It's like an obsession. Everyone looking for a cheap deal.

The good news is you have a very desirable airplane. You made a good decision to build a plane that people like and want.

So I as an uneducated young man at the age of 24 I decided I needed a rv-4 and proceded to build one. 3 years later, it flew for the first time with only a few minor squawks. A year later, I can't get it out of it's parking spot without something going wrong. Chasing oil leaks, oil temps, oil pressures, fuel leaks, fuel pressures, lean mixtures, rich mixtures, bad fuel, gauges failing, new engine accessories failing, maintenance induced maintenance... I could go on and on. ...

Not so uneducated anymore and still young - those are good things. How you proceed from this point determines whether this is an opportunity to intensify that education or limit it. Neither is a bad choice really but you do not want to stay in the current situation - either work the problems until solved or cut your losses and take up something simple like computer programming.

Bob Axsom

Joe, let me tell you the story of my first airplane....

I was about 24, had moved to Houston, and was living on pot pies and frozen pizzas in a one-bedroom apartment. I got the opportunity to buy the airport rent-a-wreck for $4900 - an AA1B that had been ridden hard and put away wet far too many times, but it was airworthy, and it was mine. the engine burned/leaked a quart in 3 hours, but hey - it was mine, it passed annuals, and I could fly!

Twenty-three years later, I sold the airplane with an upgraded engine, new paint and interior, full IFR panel, etc, etc....I have a friendly A&P that let me do all the work over the years, and all it took was the patience to not want it all at one time. And yes, I learned the hard way that cheap is expensive, and quick usually means you have to slow down and do it over! I was constantly fighting little problems until I realized my engine had done it's service, and it was time for a fresh one (actually, a fresh overhauled one!) - no problems after that!

Sounds to me like you probably have a great airframe - your problem is up front. You didn't say if this was a new engine, or if was previously flying - I agree with everyone's advice on the details, but might suggest that it is time to learn to do an engine overhaul. If it is a fresh rebuild, all it will really cost you is new seals and such - take it apart, and do it again, being careful with all the things that lead to leaks. I'd build it stock - all this talk of drilling out jets, etc is beyond my understanding - I bolted a stock O-360-A1A on my airplane, and it runs just the way the factory intended. Complicated alterations usually mean that there is some other fundamental that is not right. Decades of experience say these these things run fine as they were designed.

Overall, stick with it - but maybe you'll just have to slow down, bite the bullet, and take some of the time in the many years you have ahead of you to do it"solid" - then you can enjoy the heck out of it!

Paul

Last edited: