Jamie

Well Known Member
Anyone else noticed any asymmetry in their canopies?

I noticed it when I first started working on the canopy. First step (per plans) is to draw a line down the center of the canopy, front to back. I measured down the sides of the canopy, putting marks at measured locations on each side and then stretched my wife's 'body' tape measure across the canopy and marked the center location of the canopy. I then connected the dots, but noticed that the line didn't look straight, so I rechecked my measurements. Everything looks right. So again, I measured this time from the little ridges that are left on the canopy from the mold process. Same deal.

So I measured the center points on the front and back of the canopy and ran a string down it. The string was off my marks by about 3/4 inch at the highest point. I drew a 'new' centerline along the string and decided to press on.

I've now got the canopy split and pretty much trimmed up to the final size. The problem is the transition from the front of the canopy as it transitions down along the sides (I'm building a tip-up, BTW). The left side is acceptable. Just press the canopy sides in the frame and it looks good at the transition. The right side, however is not quite as good. It *should* be OK. It bows out from the frame the same as the left side, but when I press it in it doesn't want to line up at the transition. I finally figured out what I believe to be the problem after feeling both sides of the canopy carefully. Here's the issue:

2006-03-15.1419.jpeg

The picture is of two pieces I removed from the canopy, the top piece from the left side and the bottom piece from the right side. The part you see here is the edge as it came from the factory. The thickness at my cuts are basically the same exact thickness. The right side of the canopy is much thicker than the left and I think that's why there's basically no give. Has anyone else seen this level of asymmetry? Any clues on what to do here??? I've been working on this for too many days already. :confused:

Thanks!

My canopy had slight variation in thickness in different areas as well. Put it this way -- it can be done. With the right trims, both on the canopy itself and the frame (i.e. slice those silly "ears" off, that's my 2 cents), and with judicious use of glass & filler to build symmetry rather than start out with it, you can make it work. I know this is a vague answer, but I don't think we live close enough to each other for me to fly over and help...

I'm in Atlanta, so I think SoCal is a little far away for a TC visit. :)

Thanks, Dan for the advise. I guess this is one of those areas where there's considerable fudge factor involved. Messed around with it some more tonight and figured out that there was some slight interference when the canopy is pulled down. Solved the interference issue and it's still not perfect...but it's pretty close so I'll live with it. Thanks again.